Phase converter theory question.

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

B Mann

Phase converter theory question.

Post by B Mann »

I have a phase converter I built years ago, works fine. (it has an idler motor) I picked up a phase-o-matic phase converter and I am going to hook an idler motor up to it(better efficiency) for use in another another building. Both converters will be hooked up with plugs so they will be interchangeable. (input and output have plugs/recepticles)

I understand if the motor you are powering has a reverse rotation, you reverse a pair of the 3 phase wiring to get the forward motion. My question is... If the single phase L1 and L2 input to the phase converter wiring is reversed will the 3 phase change direction also??? I am trying to make these so they are interchangeable if one were to fail I can swap them without a hassle. Crickets.... haha
ChipMaker4130

Re: Phase converter theory question.

Post by ChipMaker4130 »

My uneducated guess is that swapping the input will not have any effect. The idler will still rotate in the same direction and the phase relationship between the single-phase input and the idler will remain the same.
B Mann

Post by B Mann »

ChipMaker4130 wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:06 am My uneducated guess is that swapping the input will not have any effect. The idler will still rotate in the same direction and the phase relationship between the single-phase input and the idler will remain the same.
I was thinking the same... The idler rotation is based on the way the jump start capacitor is hooked to it. The idler rotation is what determines the 3 phases.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

B Mann writes:
> If the single phase L1 and L2 input to the phase converter wiring is reversed
> will the 3 phase change direction also?

No.