Huanyang VFD 2.2

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

chief

Re: Huanyang VFD 2.2

Post by chief »

Thanks for the clarification guys, I hadn't realized what type of machine an X 31 was.

Terry
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

That sort of combination machine seems to be fairly rare in the US; I asked my brother who's a carpenter. He told me that combo wood machines were basically despised, because there was a US one long ago that used a single motor for all the functions and took ages to change over from one to the other, and wasn't very robust.
The Robland X-31 is basically the same in configuration to some other machines made in Europe; 3 or 4 machines are mechanically independent but share a single cabinet and power cord.
The advantage is space saving for small shops. There's still some changeover time, but it's quick. depending on the work, you can leave the planer setup and use the table saw.
It weighs 600-700 lbs. Not exactly portable. Not cheap either.
chief

Post by chief »

I believe you are correct about attitudes for combo machines in the US. Our experience over the years was that machines claiming multiple capabilities rarely performed any of of them well and were cheaply constructed. An exception may be the Shopsmith woodworking machines. I've never used one, but they were usually discussed favorably. I also think that the attitudes may be slowly changing, since the European imports, like the Rolands get good reviews.

Terry