Huanyang VFD 2.2

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Graeme b

Huanyang VFD 2.2

Post by Graeme b »

My Huanyang VFD 2.2kw was working fine on my Bridgeport 2.2 kw water cooled spindle Now it works but I cant vary the rpm with the 10K pot like before. I reloaded all my saved codes more than once. Still no variable speed. Just constant speed. Could it be something in the codes Any ideas?
NP317

Re: Huanyang VFD 2.2

Post by NP317 »

A potentiometer is a mechanical device that gets exercised every time it is turned.
I have replaced my share of such devices on electrical gear.
I always expect those mechanical items first before software issues.
RN
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

That brand of VFD is so problematic that they are banned from discussion on Practical Machinist. As NP317 said for a cheap fix try replacing the pot ,that don't fix it buy a decent VFD.
www.chaski.com
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

I'm looking at buying a Huanyang 3kw vfd for my neighbor. He has a triple motor X31 woodworking machine with 3-phase motors and doen't have 3-phase service.

I see a lot of mixed reviews; most people say theirs is working fine and a few people report it's broke.
But isn't it always that way?
There are also fake Huanyang's

As I was looking for his, I found a lenze US made 3-phase to 3-phase vfd about to end with no bids on it; so I got that for my lathe for $30. Yipee!
I hope it works...
Inspector

Post by Inspector »

An Aussie opened up one of his Huanyangs and compared it with a Powtran he bought. The Powtran was much better made and comes with a good manual. They also have English speaking technical support. I haven’t heard any gripes about it but I don’t get around that kind of stuff much. I can post the link to their website if you want.

Pete
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Powtran doesn't seem to be available where I live [Portugal], but where they are available cost 3x more than the Huanyang.
So that's not going to happen; my neighbor is on a low budget. he simply doesn't have $600 worth of work to do with the machine.
We can only buy from within the EU, or pay 50% in taxes and wait a few months for customs clearance.
And if there are warranty issues, it will be impossible.
We could pay a bit more, but not that much.
There are cheaper vfd's than the Huanyang too, 30% cheaper. They don't seem to carry any name at all, but look exactly like the Huanyang on the outside.
We'll avoid those.
Magicniner

Post by Magicniner »

Buying cheap equipment is a crap shoot, but if you have no pressing need to use it, and can afford the time to sort out a problematic unit if you get one or the cost to replace it if it fails and is badly supported may as well take a punt on the cheap units.
Inspector

Post by Inspector »

I didn't know about the cost and import issues for you in the EU. I bought a 4K unit from them and it was $170US plus UPS shipping of about $80 through Alibaba. Still an option for Graeme if he can't fix his.

Pete
chief

Post by chief »

Liveaboard,

I'm far from expert on VFD's, but I thought I have read here and other places that the typical VFD doesn't work well with multiple loads. If that is true, and I hope someone else can confirm or rebutt, a VFD might not be the best choice for your friend's 3 motor machine. Perhaps a phase converter would be an option for him?

Terry
Inspector

Post by Inspector »

Normally with a machine like the X31 you would only use one part at a time so only one motor would be running. Planer/jointer, saw, shaper. The saw would need to be setup to turn on/off a motor through the VFD so the button would need to be wired into it instead of to the motor. Otherwise the VFD goes pop! I don't know if three separate switches could be run through the VFD though so it might take some kind of other switch to only select the desired motor.

Pete
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

I would have to rewire the whole thing for him; the motors all have to be changed from 380 to 220, the stop circuit changed to operate the vfd instead of the relay, etc.
Yes, only 1 motor runs at a time, but today we realized another problem; his dust extractor is 3-phase too, and it's 2HP.
So that would mean either another VFD or a new motor [about the same price].

So he's going to get a price for 3-phase installation and then decide.
His pace is a rental and his workshop is in a container he brought with him, but the electrical work would belong to his landlady after he pays for it.
jmanatee

Post by jmanatee »

Wow, a lot of bashing of the Huanyang VFD, a lot of people have had a lot of success with them, me included.

PD002 is source of speed control I have mine set to 1 for external.. If that is currently set then I would confirm your POT (potentiometer) is working they should be (if I remember correctly ) 10k ohm from outside pin to outside pin and then and sweep from 0 - 10kohm from center pin to either outside pin.