Shelf Life

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

liveaboard

Re: Shelf Life

Post by liveaboard »

BadDog wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:06 pm Yeah, mines the green x31 too. It's got it's good points, but it's not been what I thought it could be. Then again, I'm just not a big wood person.
The planer is a treat for joinery; the only way to get straight wood to work with is to machine it yourself. Wood is weird stuff and takes some getting used to. It moves as you cut it.

I bought a rough sawn hardwood tree section, around 2 tons. Used every stick of it. The old x31 is a bit finicky, takes time to get set correctly, but it did the work.

There are better machines for sure, and their prices reflect that.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Agreed on all points
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

Yes, mine has the tool changer. The only problem that I see so far with me doing the controls, is the VFD for the spindle. Haas is really proud of their replacement drive. I may put in a different brand drive.

Jim B
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Heh! They're pretty proud of almost all their replacement parts.
The limit switch for the Y travel is bulky on mine. I inquired, and they'll sell a new one for just under $200. I was able to make it work as is, so I did. That may not be true when I finally get the thing back up and running.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

Most of their parts can be replaced with off the shelf components. I wouldn't pay $200 for a limit switch either. I probably could get the same part cheaper from one of my suppliers.

Jim B