Shelf Life

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Re: Shelf Life

Post by SteveHGraham »

The need for wheels goes up as square footage goes down.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I'm pretty sure you've got more space than I do.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

You may also be more industrious or indifferent to clutter than I am. I hate having work surfaces I can only approach from one side. I hate having to turn sideways to get from one side of the shop to the other. Stepping over cords, leaning way over to get to things on the other side of fixed storage and machines, burrowing through things over and over to get at what I want to use...it's not for me. It's bad ergonomics. I learned a long time ago that I was much less likely to use things that were not convenient to get at.

There are guys on Youtube who show off tiny shops packed so full you can't swing a cat. "When I want to use the spindle sander, I just move the lathe outside, drop this shelf, raise this saw to the ceiling, open a window so my elbow can hang out, stand on one foot..." I am not industrious enough to deal with that. And cleaning around things you can't move is a nightmare. Then there is the problem of dropping small fiddly parts behind them at 10:00 p.m. on the day before you planned to use whatever you're working on.

I have 900 square feet, which isn't bad, but poor ergonomic choices made it feel like a one-car garage. I'm going to keep slashing and burning and installing wheels. I'm getting a big shop lift, and the lathe and mill are coming, so I can't squander space. I'm thinking of pouring a small slab just outside and putting the compressor on it, and I may go back to my old idea of buying a small shed for materials.

I'm really looking forward to hanging some electrical cords. Cords on the floor discourage me from moving things on wheels.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I stand corrected. I have about 1800 sf. At 900 sf you have much less space than I do. My mistake, no idea why I thought you had a bigger shop.

I'm much like you in ergonomic desire. I can get all the way around most anything (though some back paths tend to accumulate stuff), and unless in mid large-scale project, my work space is generally open enough that I can move around freely carrying largish weldments, or even maneuvering pallet jack or welder cart without much need to clear the way (like moving a welder or grinder cart out of the way). I also frequently pull my motorcycle in for service on it's stands with plenty of room. With a little work moving a few things I could even get my little C10 short bed or tractor inside the main bay.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

I too have to rearrange my shop. Just bought a Haas TM-1 and now where to put it. My shop is 660sq ft. and most stuff is on wheels. The lathe and BP clone is not. Hopefully, Mike of RRSC can put on the addition at his house and then his CNC Bridgeport will go home. That will free up some space.

I have purchased wire shelf units and vidmar cabinets to help with the space restrictions. However, start one project and all of a sudden, no room.

Jim B
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

rrnut-2 wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:24 am Just bought a Haas TM-1
Way cool, JIm. I sure have enjoyed mine.
Mine's down right now, the result of fuse failure with the induction furnace.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

BadDog wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:28 pm , big Robland wood machine,
X31?
I have one, not common here in Portugal.

One great thing about the US is the possibility to build on your land.
In Europe, planning permission is required for anything bigger than a mailbox [actually, I think you even need permit for that], and the standard response is negative.
I have 10 acres but my space is limited to what was built on it in the past. New construction is banned where I live.
That's why I work in a sea container.

If you can build, be happy and build! compressor room, separate grinding room, wood shop, welding area, car shop...
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

Harold, this one is missing controls but the iron is in great shape. I am going to install Centroid on it.

"If you can build, be happy and build! compressor room, separate grinding room, wood shop, welding area, car shop..."
Here in New Hampshire, you can build, then watch the property taxes skyrocket!

Jim B
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Yes, X31.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

BadDog wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:06 pmYes, X31.
I have an old green X31 I bought at auction in Holland. I thought it must be the only one in southern Portugal, but then a Dutch guy moved in next door and he has a newer grey X31.
The grey one is built MUCH better than the old green model.
I made all the cabinetry for the house, outer doors, and a few windows.
rrnut-2 wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:37 am Here in New Hampshire, you can build, then watch the property taxes skyrocket!
Jim B
What if you build a really, really ugly workshop; maybe you could reduce your property value and then get a lower property tax assessment.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Yeah, mines the green x31 too. It's got it's good points, but it's not been what I thought it could be. Then again, I'm just not a big wood person.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

rrnut-2 wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:37 am Harold, this one is missing controls but the iron is in great shape. I am going to install Centroid on it.
Sounds like an ambitious project, Jim. Good luck!
Does your machine have the tool changer?
Mine does not, but I don't see that as a serious issue. Not looking to make money with mine, just to add greater capabilities to machining. It's been quite nice to be able to engrave, as an example.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.