Things to Look Out for When Buying Lift Table?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Things to Look Out for When Buying Lift Table?

Post by SteveHGraham »

Thinking of getting a motorcycle/UTV table to lift projects so I can work on them. There are a few used ones available, but they're small. I want at least 1500 pounds of lift, so it looks like I'll have to shell out for a new one.

Any pitfalls, problems, etc., I need to be aware of?
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
RONALD

Re: Things to Look Out for When Buying Lift Table?

Post by RONALD »

Here are three hydraulic tables we bought off of eBay, one is used for an assembly/welding table in my garage, the other two are used in conjunction with TT#1 and TT#2.

In that third photo, I'm welding up the locomotive holder for the top of TT#2's lift table.

The yellow Econo Lift was most expensive just over $1200, but it was new on a skid.

The Presto lift tables were used, at a couple of hundred each, but shipping almost doubled the cost, the yellow Econo Lift was delivered for free.

Yes, if you intend to work on BIG projects, I would not be toying around with motor cycle lifts.
DSCN9422.jpeg
DSCN2404.jpeg
TURNTABLE #2 - 176.jpeg
DSCN0001_2.jpeg
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Thanks for the info.

It looks like car lifts are not the way to go, because they're too wide for other projects. You end up leaning way over to reach what you're working on. I found some motorcyle/UTV lifts that have side panels. You start off with a narrow table, and you can add the panels to get something like 4 feet of width, which is all I want.

I want to be able to lift my garden tractor, which is almost 7 feet long, as well as my gas EZ-GO. Hoping I can leave the tractor parked on the lift when I'm not using it.
Tom1948

Post by Tom1948 »

Look at Handy Lifts. They make both electric and air powered lift. I found them to be a very good piece of equipment. They may have a model to suite you........Tom
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

They make a lot of good stuff, but it looks like they would want $3000 for a product which is under $2000 from other suppliers.
spro

Post by spro »

Might want to look at "bumper jacks". Remember when bumpers weren't plastic. You could lift a car pretty high for service underneath.
spro

Post by spro »

I was thinking about a" Walker" bumper jack since I have one. They are a piece of work in a good way. Really strong units on wheels but when the weight is high, the wheels retract to solid mount. There is a crank handle which winds up a square thread which lifted the older heavier vehicles. There are rear wheels for moving it around .
I believe it is well to mention these jacks even 20 years late.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I found a company called APlusLift. I hate it when people put capital letters in the middle of words, which is why I type things like "Iphone." Anyway, for $1200, you get 1500 pounds of capacity, and you can hold stuff 48" wide.

My only concern is the difficulty of parking the garden tractor on it. The ramp looks steep. I guess it must work, or no one would buy it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075H ... 663EQQRFAX
J.Ramsey

Post by J.Ramsey »

I'd check these out,a friend bought one a few years back to work on motorcycles and loves it.
https://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Atla ... e-Lift-XLT

I myself have a Handy Lift I bought used about 15 years ago for my bikes/mowers for $600 and it came with the side wings, wish i had got one 40 years ago.
It will lift a buddy's '05 Ultra Classic 800 lbs+ with a 375 lb rider in about 4 seconds to full height .

SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

That Atlas lift only lifts a thousand pounds.

A company called K&L Supply makes the perfect lift, but it's close to three thousand dollars. The model is MC655R.