Metabo "No-Tool" Hub on Angle Grinder Unscrews Self

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Metabo "No-Tool" Hub on Angle Grinder Unscrews Self

Post by SteveHGraham »

I found out how good a 6" angle grinder is for cutting metal, so I bought a Metabo. It has a brake and a no-tool quick-change thing on it. I also picked up a package of 25 Walter cutoff disks.

When you let go of the switch, the brake kicks in, and the tool slows down quickly. The quick-change device is a rough round nut you tighten by hand. When the brake stops the motor, the disk wants to keep going, so it unscrews the hub and rattles around in the guard.

I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with this system. Metabo's instructions are sad. Maybe I need to start cranking the "no-tool" hub down with a wrench.

I suppose I should go ahead and buy the normal hub and a wrench that fits it.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
BadDog

Re: Metabo "No-Tool" Hub on Angle Grinder Unscrews Self

Post by BadDog »

Brake on a grinder? Never seen one. Lock to hold arbor while tightening/loosening, now that I've seen a lot of.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

It doesn't lock it up. It just slows it down fast. Apparently, in Europe, they have a bug up their butt about tools that continue running too long. I thought it would be nice because I wouldn't have to stand there waiting before putting the tool down.

I'm assuming I understand this thing correctly, and I'm not mistaking the natural deceleration of the motor for braking. With that manual, it's hard to tell.

You're supposed to lock the grinder while it's still turning in order to loosen the hub. Sounds crazy, but it's what they tell you to do.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I have a metabo with the same hub and while it slows quickly...the nut has ever come loose....maybe the 'nut' is bad ???
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Sounds like a warranty issue to me.
All my grinders are old and don't have a brake feature. One has the quick nut, and usually I need help from a pair of waterpump pliers to get it loose.
Which raises the question; if you still need a tool, where's the fun part?
In your case you don't need a tool but it isn't holding the disk well enough either.

I think angle grinders are so crazy dangerous I'm happy they're still allowed at all.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

I have a 7.5 inch Harbor Freight that cuts thick steel (1.25") stock pretty fast. I do not have enough room for anything more adequate.
The breaking feature is great to have, you would know if it is braking or coasting down because it takes a long time to free wheel to a stop. And obviously one can not put it down until it stops which is a pain.
I wear the full face shield when using it.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

All my cheap grinders have very effective brakes that don't unscrew the disk.

I just touch it to the surface I'm working on (not areas to remain pristine) whatever I'm grinding or cutting...
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
rudd

Post by rudd »

Gosh, I've been doing it wrong all this time, and just setting it down "disk up" instead of waiting for it to spin down....
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I'm far too clumsy (and often absent minded when focusing on the task) for that, I would invariably stick an ankle into it, or bump it and let it damage the floor and the disk. However, if the guard is in the right location (yes, I keep the guard on unless a specific need otherwise) I sometimes set it down and let it run down on it's own with the disk down. If that's not the case, just turn off and briefly touch the surface you have been working at to stop it in a second or two without needing a brake on the grinder motor.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

rudd wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:03 pm Gosh, I've been doing it wrong all this time, and just setting it down "disk up" instead of waiting for it to spin down....
Me too.

I'm not one to stick to the health + safety rule book, but I do not operate an angle grinder without a guard.
A neighbor where I used to live had a disk shatter and lost the lower half of his face.
He was a professional steel working guy.