Splicing Romex?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

10 Wheeler Rob

Re: Splicing Romex?

Post by 10 Wheeler Rob »

I splice the in to the out going wire, plus a pig tail wire to the outlet with a tee nut in the outlet box for adding addition outlet. The only time you would wire through the outlet is if its a ground fault on that's protecting the string of outlets. But I seam to remember the last time I wired a GF it had out going pig tail wire also.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Code requires NM cable be enclosed in conduit anywhere it is 'exposed' -- so unless it is in a wall or routes through holes in joists, it must be in conduit.

And, where run through joists, the holes must be 2 or more inches away from the edge. This is so any nails driven into the joist won't penetrate the wire.

And, as others have noted, ALL connections must be in an approved enclosure and all enclosures must be accessible without removing flooring or wallboard.
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
choprboy

Post by choprboy »

neanderman wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:41 pm And, where run through joists, the holes must be 2 or more inches away from the edge. This is so any nails driven into the joist won't penetrate the wire.
It is a minimum of 1-1/4" from the edge (NEC 300.4A), if closer it is allowed but a nail plate must be used to prevent nails/screws from penetrating the cable. (It is impossible to place a hole thru a 2x4 a minimum of 2" from the nailing edge.) But yeah, I prefer to put plates over anywhere closer than 1-1/2 to 1-3/4"".
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Thanks for the correction.
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

You don't have to cover Romex running over trusses.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.