Splicing Romex?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Splicing Romex?

Post by SteveHGraham »

I finally have my shop fixed up to where I can do some work (other than working ON the shop), but there are still things I have to do. I have only one outlet on one side of the shop, and I want to put another in. I have a couple of options. I can run romex to an existing outlet and try to attach it to the wires screwed to the outlet, or I can splice into the romex going to the first outlet, which would be somewhat less of a Bubba job.

My question: is there a workmanlike way to splice into romex, or is it a stupid idea?

I guess I could also run a whole new wire all the way to the panel. The wire would cost me around $100.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
SteveHGraham

Re: Splicing Romex?

Post by SteveHGraham »

Now that I think about it, I want to have a total of three outlets on that line, so I need the original three wires to connect to 6. I guess a junction box would work.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

When I added outlets, I added some breakers, in a new bigger panel, and then daisy-chained 'em.
Romex to the first one, another piece of Romex from the first outlet to the second....and so on.
If I have an outlet go bad, I have to unscrew 6 wires instead of three. Big deal....not like it happens a lot.
I split things up. Lights are on two breakers, back wall on another, etc etc.
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
Bentworker

Post by Bentworker »

There are plenty of ways to go about it. As long as you don't exceed box fill, use good technique and quality wire nuts (I like 3M brand) you should be good to go.

Personally I find any of the "code check" flip books by Taunton press to be the best basic reference for code compliance. Code Check Electrical by Taunton is worth every penny in my opinion. The flip books are laminated, so they hold up to rain and dirty hands. Illustrations are excellent - simple and clear. Think of it as the best "idiots guide" to the NEC. If you have ever sat down and tried to read the NEC book cover to cover you can see the value in a "cliff notes" version.

My opinion is that you buy the book - give it a read and go for it.

https://www.tauntonstore.com/building-codes.html
Shop toys...
10X54" Vectrax GS20F mill with DRO & frequency drive (saved from the scrap pile).
Jet 13x40 lathe.
Powermatic 1150 drill press.
I love Craigslist!
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Thanks for the book recommendation. I ordered one.
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

As long as the splice is in a box. Out in the open and concealed splices are not allowed. And if in a box, not sure if it really a splice...
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Romex? Ugh!
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
choprboy

Post by choprboy »

Yes, as Russ said, no "flying splices" or concealed connections. I rewired my entire house and built/powered a workshop. Romex is very easy to work with, just make terminations in accessible boxes, strip back the outer jacket within the box, strip and wirenut the wires together appropriately. Make connections in an accessible outlet or ceiling box where needed. Romex needs to be secured (wire staple or strap) within 12" (as I recall) of the box. There is also a whole wire fill calculation for how big of a box you need.... but that gets a bit more in depth.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

FYI....if you are shopping for Romex, try Zoro.
I wired in a little on-demand water heater in my shop, and they had the best price on all the stuff to do it....breaker and everything.
Freight was free.
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
LIALLEGHENY

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

Is the Romex wiring going to be concealed or in the open? Any chances of something falling on it or against it? If so run BX or use conduit. You don't want something falling into it cutting through the insulation. Where I am ( commercial shop) the code prohibits the use of Romex just for that reason.

Nyle
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

The workshop was built by the previous owner, and he was not a big tool user. He was happy with three 125V outlets. The construction company ran romex above the cinderblocks and trusses, along the walls. Conduit sounds great, but it would be a giant project going all the way back to the panel for all circuits, and the only benefit would be that it would look nice.

Back in Miami (spit) I used conduit, but I'm not doing it here.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Stub plastic conduit far enough up from each outlet to protect the Romex from being bashed and fish the conduit down through it. Run all your wiring above ceiling height (sounds like the previous owner already did that). Make all connections in boxes.