Opening Evaporust 5 gallon pail

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

TomB

Opening Evaporust 5 gallon pail

Post by TomB »

I bought a 5 gallon pail/can/bucket of Evaporust planning to take a gallon out and put it in a currently empty can. Then I planned to just lower the rusty parts into the bucket. As such I wanted the 12" diameter top off and not just the pour spout open. The top has a note embossed saying "cut the slots and break off the tab". I think I did that assuming the tab they reference is the 1/4 wide rim that is cut in sections when you break the slots. But now I still can't figure how to get the top off the pail. I tried to turn it off but it would not move. I tried unsuccessfully to stick a screw driver under the edge and then to pry it off. Can anybody enlighten me on the secret to opening the can?

Tom
SteveHGraham

Re: Opeing Evaporust 5 gallon pail

Post by SteveHGraham »

You just have to pull really hard, unless it's some special kind of pail I've never heard of. Cut all the little bits joining the tabs, pick a tab, and pull.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

There's a lip on the bucket that the lid snaps over. As Steve says, you have to pull really hard. Put your (large) screwdriver under the edge and then work your way around to loosen the lid and then pry it off.

They make a special tool for opening those. I've got one somewhere.
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

What everyone said before, I deal with 5 gal plastic pails all the time, some are harder to open than others.
What I do if I can't find my lid opener is to lay the heel of both my palms on the lid ,fingers facing outward
and grab the tabs created from cutting the slots and pry up using the heel of my palms as a fulcrum, working around the lid till it's off.
It's easier when the pail lid is waist height, basically two 5 gal pails stacked.
But a lid opener is always easier - https://www.mcmaster.com/bucket-lid-ope ... 8ak01f12mb
TomB

Re: Opening Evaporust 5 gallon pail

Post by TomB »

Thanks to all for the advice. I had to go in for an Out Patient surgery and expected to be back in the shop trying to open can the next day. However it took me most of the week to get back to walking. I did get into shop this afternoon and using a small pipe wrench to function like the tools that were referenced plus some big screw drivers I got the top off. I tried to do it with my hands but I no longer have that strength in my hands. That pail does not seem like a suitable pail for the product purpose but maybe they just think every user will have a big wash tank so all that is needed is the small cap in the top.
spro

Post by spro »

Screw that bucket. I want your hands to come back to normal. The "tip" about using a small pipe wrench is really good. Thx TomB.
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

Tractor Supply sells a 5 gal pail lid that has a screw on cover. The outer edge snaps on, the the center is screw on. I'm sure the same cover can be bought at HD or Lowes or similar stores. This is what I use for my Evaporust bucket.

Jim B
rudd

Post by rudd »

Just bought one of those buckets with the screw on lid at HD for my automatic chicken watering system. Y'all may have heard it gets windy down in these parts sometimes. Got tired of the lid blowing off.
spro

Post by spro »

Yep . Got more than fair share for sure. Is it over, over there?
spro

Post by spro »

I'm hearing that this winter is going to be severe. People reading caterpillars' color and it is black. That means something.