New here - Hello!

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

skunkworks

Re: New here - Hello!

Post by skunkworks »

Rigid tapping at 8 minutes in.. :) ^^^
skunkworks

Post by skunkworks »

green machine update!

spro

Post by spro »

Hi. I've watched your video and it is neat. Certainly new to me. Glad you have your motor balanced. You are attuned to this work and a pleasure to see the advancements.
skunkworks

Post by skunkworks »

What did I do this weekend? I am glad you asked. Non-circular boring anyone? (I am such a nerd)

BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Pretty slick. I often think of going CNC, but *computer* :oops: I work at a computer all day, and the last thing I want in my shop is another blasted piece of electronics or computers to fool with. My sole concesion is use of a DRO, so I turn cranks, and it does what I need. Still, very cool what those machines can do.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
skunkworks

Post by skunkworks »

I understand. I like the motion control/computer interface aspect of this. (I work IT)

sam
BadDog wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:10 pm Pretty slick. I often think of going CNC, but *computer* :oops: I work at a computer all day, and the last thing I want in my shop is another blasted piece of electronics or computers to fool with. My sole concesion is use of a DRO, so I turn cranks, and it does what I need. Still, very cool what those machines can do.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

Watched a nyccnc outtakes video showing them crashing their renshaw probes. Painful to watch! Looks like you have a pretty nice setup. I wish I had the space for all those machines!

Welcome to the group!
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

In your video, there's confusion in terminology. The mention of the word tolerance when the word clearance would be appropriate.
Tolerance is the amount a size can vary from nominal and still be acceptable. An example might be a given size, say .2500", with an assigned tolerance of ±.0002". That designation has nothing to do with how much clearance is assigned to a mating part. It just assures that it will be acceptable. The amount of clearance is determined by proper dimensioning (along with the appropriate tolerance).

The issue you faced is a less than acceptable mismatch in sizes, which could have been controlled by tolerance, although proper dimensioning of both components would be required. The tighter the tolerance, the less chance of a mismatch, assuming the mating parts have been dimensioned properly.

My purpose in making this comment is not to lessen the value of your video. It is to reinforce the fact that the word tolerance is commonly misused, and is misleading. There's a whole community of people talking about tolerance when it has little to do with the problems being addressed.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

Correct terminology is something that few seem to give much weight. That doesn't apply just to machining, of course. I frequently have to decide whether it's worth the effort to explain the difference between accuracy and precision.

Dave
LIALLEGHENY

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

"tolerance" and this has nothing to do with any members on the board here.....just a few people I know... tolerance is the ability to be able to put up with someone who claims that they know what they are doing, and brag about it, when in fact they have no idea what they are doing
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

That sounds like another forum I know about! One that I spend very little time on because of it
skunkworks

Post by skunkworks »

Actual boring - painfully slow as I was being very conservative...

http://electronicsam.com/images/greenma ... 190102.jpg