Worn pulleys/ additive metal

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

spro

Worn pulleys/ additive metal

Post by spro »

Thinner metal pulleys pulled a lot of belts but become worn over time. The profile is no longer correct for a new belt. Very few .001's truing can help once because there isn't any "meat" to work with. Somebody knows about metal application in a way to build up the inner surfaces. I'm not talking brazing or welding really. There is another process which escapes me. Thanks
choprboy

Re: Worn pulleys/ additive metal

Post by choprboy »

You mean plasma spray/metal spray? Using a plasma or acetylene torch to blow fine metal particles onto the part, which melt in the stream and then adhere to the part surface. Used for buildup of shafts/etc.

https://youtu.be/X43SJakLTA8?t=1263

Having had to repeatedly place pulleys that continually get worn down (A/C fans running 24/7), I've found the best long term solution is to replace original factory single sheave pulleys with dual sheave. Reduces wear on both the belt and pulley by almost an order of magnitude.
12L14

Post by 12L14 »

spro wrote:I'm not talking brazing or welding really. There is another process which escapes me.
Galvanization?
Tool&die maker since yesterday ;)
spro

Post by spro »

I think you guys got it. These are avenues worth exploring and I'll say why. Some things, like mower decks (fair large 60" ones ) are designed that the main pulley is two stacked yet very close together. The better iron ones with contracting insert are taller. It is a better design but may contact certain things that lower type doesn't touch. There are also alignment issues. Since the original worked near 40- years, the additive of metal onto the worn faces is the way to go. Thanks much.
spro

Post by spro »

I have to say by looking at abom79 videos, he knows additive metal and much more. Thin pulley facing is different but good ride.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

you don't want to spray metal on these low end pulleys.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
spro

Post by spro »

I suppose "low end" is correct. Since they are lighter, I don't see that process being used. There is more about metal transfer than I know. In an electrolysis bath the rust is usually extracted but a sacrificial electrode could slowly build thin surface. I just need more info about it.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Belts have moved on in the last 40 years...
I have some experience with V-belt problems. Basically, they slip; a couple of percent and they last a long time, a couple of more and it all heats up and wears out fast.
As chaprboy did, I went to double belts, which solved my problem.
Today you can get cogged [timing belts] that don't slip at all, and multigroove [serpentine] belts in many widths and lengths. These can carry greater loads and have less heating / slipping trouble.
spro

Post by spro »

I get all that but it doesn't apply in this case. Just one section of a double Vee pulley needs to be built up. The pto exits the back, in line with the drive line. One long single belt is configured by idler pulleys to either reach a tow behind deck or a belly deck. In most cases, it contacts the top of dual pulley and that is where wear occurs.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

i think that you will find that if you can find someone to do this, the cost will far outweigh the replacement $
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
spro

Post by spro »

I have a 5' belly deck and while it is physically right heavy, it is suspended at four points. Two points raise or lower at my whim over unequal terrain, via hydraulics and linkage to keep it parallel. Sometimes it must be raised high, so there are additional idlers to keep the long belt from rubbing the top of the deck. This is a Lo-Boy type tractor and it must sit low for the steep grades, yet maximum deck heights.
edit: Okay Bill. I understand. I'll probably go to a more serious Browning design pulley in the future.