Review of WNY Phase Converter Panel

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

whisperfan

Review of WNY Phase Converter Panel

Post by whisperfan »

I had a choice to make. I like the idea of VFD's but I already owned a 3hp 3-PH motor that I used as the most basic rotary phase converter. I stared it with a 1750 rpm 1/4 hp single phase motor, mounted shaft-to-shaft with the big idler motor. It didn't have start or run capacitors and it was a pain. So - I would not have a use for the 'left over' motor if I went with a VFD. And I'd need two, since I have a 3-PH surface grinder.

Here you can see the converter panel I didn't really need the fused disconnect since the 220 line comes straight from the circuit breaker panel on its own dedicated breaker. But I had it, so I used it. I like to use EMT Conduit and individual wires rather than romex.

Here's a closer view of the wall

And here is the disconnect and the interior of the panel

whisperfan

Re: Review of WNY Phase Converter Panel

Post by whisperfan »

Here you see it wired up. I settled on a complete 'phase converter panel' made by a place called WNY Supply out of NY. I got mine from eBay, as they have pretty good buyer-protection. It came in a large USPS box with packing peanuts. When I got it out and the cover off, It was ok. Not the most expensive on the market, but only 'so-so' in my opinion.

One thing I believed to really be missing was a grounding block to ground the box and the pass-though grounding wire that goes on to the idler motor. So I added one myself. This was my only 'modification' other than an electrical warning sticker on the front of the panel cover.

Last edited by whisperfan on Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whisperfan

Post by whisperfan »

The instructions were only 'OK' - I thought they were written for someone who already knows something about electricity .... but then again, I guess that is OK, because if you don't know anything about electricity you probably have no business trying to install one yourself.

My voltages are pretty balanced, but not 'tuned' to my motor- how could they be??? I didn't send my motor up to them to 'tune it' .... I don't think they offer that service.

Anyway - I'm getting about 245 volts across C-A legs ... 236 across C-B legs ... and 238 across A-B legs. A couple more caps at varying ratings could balance it even more. Both the start button and the power light are on the side, and I'd prefer them to be on the front. I think I'd like a short 'fixed' front panel with the light and switch mounted and then the remove the rest of the front panel for access.
whisperfan

Post by whisperfan »

My old set-up used to sit between the Mill and Lathe ... and I found this to be the 'impact area' for a lot of chips from the mill - so I tucked it under a shelf in between the surface grinder and the lathe .... should stay cleaner there

I like to use the EMT rather than romex and I label everything.

whisperfan

Post by whisperfan »

So the wiring was pretty straightforward. You bring your red and black from the 220 breaker you bring them to L1 and L2.
Then you bring the three legs from the idler (pony) motor to both A,B, and C and to the plugs or motor you are going to power.

Operation - start-up is fast and quiet - I really like that. It runs both the mill and the grinder with no sweat.

I read a couple 'sow to ship' comments about WNY and while that concerned me a little, I had my panel in about a week, and that's not too bad to me.

All in all - I'd do it again
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Nice clean installation. As is your shop.
You need to make more chips now!
~RN
Milling along

Post by Milling along »

A very nice setup!

I once thought that I would make a rotary phase converter out of one of those
big 3 HP 3 phase pedestal grinders. You know the big ugly things that no one
wants at an auction. They are a 3 phase motor and should make just as good
a phase converter as a separate idler motor. You get a phase converter for
you mill or lathe and you get a grinder as a bonus!
12L14

Post by 12L14 »

Nice job.

You can find vfd with a 1 PH in and 3 PH out, but they are usually smaller units - I newer saw(second hand) one bigger than 3kW(4HP).
Tool&die maker since yesterday ;)
spro

Post by spro »

Hey. I have one of those honkers. Somewhere here or at PM the pony motor was attached to the pedestal. It had belt drive to one side of the grinder shaft. They have large bearings for running higher rpm but don't remember if that was required to generate proper 3 phase.