What is a good rust preventative for machine storage.

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

warmstrong1955

Re: What is a good rust preventative for machine storage.

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Solar-System.jpg
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

If you exapnd your map a bit you can include Northern Wisconsin.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

BadDog--

No. You're good. All will be good when you get here. Just bring enough of that "dry" to envelope my shop.

--Bill
You are what you write.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Great! See you soon!
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
plunger

Post by plunger »

atunguyd wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:08 pm I live in the coast in sunny south Africa (similar climate to San Diego). Not only is humidity around 90% all the time and weather hot, we also have the sea breeze blowing up the hill and into the house. Everything rusts here!
In my workshop I run an electric dehumidifier 24/7 and I am getting no rust on my machines.

My table saw on the other hand sits in the garage and I need to sand down the the cast iron table every 6 months and apply paraffin wax.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
How big a garage can a dehumidifier work in.?How well does parrafin wax work. Ive never heard of the stuff. Where can you buy it.?
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Cosmoline
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

What Bill said. It's easy to apply when fresh and protects surfaces well as long as it's not disturbed. The Sunnen hone I own and restored had been placed in outside storage in Utah and was almost rust free, with traces of rusting only where the cosmoline had been disturbed. I have a partial pail I'd gladly give to anyone in need.

Dehumidifiers work well in any size room, although if they're too small they run continually and can't remove enough humidity to achieve the desired level. The larger they are, the greater their capacity. I run several of them and have done so for about 25 years. I was used to a dry environment due to having lived in Utah. The greater NW has higher humidity, although likely nowhere near that of the south.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Dehumidifier can extract a certain amount of water per day; it's not the size of the room, but the amount of water ingress that sets the requirement.
Usually that means air flow. Humid air entering from outside.
Occasionally there can be other sources like seepage through concrete walls or foundation.
If you don't have a good tight weather sealed space, a dehumidifier is unlikely to be useful.