Surface Grinding

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

GlennW

Re: Surface Grinding

Post by GlennW »

You're all set!
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

So far I've made mostly very sharp edges, but discovered a large melty burr on the trailing edge. Otherwise just taking it slow.

Even the roughing passes are staying within two hundred millionths on either side. I will need to configure a squareness comparator. I know how to use the surface gauge with the ball on the end of the mounting mast.

Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

ctwo wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 3:51 pmSo far I've made mostly very sharp edges
https://www.amazon.com/EZE-LAP-PAK-Colo ... 1618&psc=1

They do a great job of breaking sharp corners.

A stone works well too, but these stay flat if you use them on a corner. (and don't break when you drop them)

I've had a Fine EZ Lap for years that I also use for tuning up HSS and carbide cutters. Can't wear it out!
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Carrdo

Post by Carrdo »

Also, don't forget to use a precision ground flat stone on the mag chuck top surface regularly to remove any raised burrs or dings and micro scratches which will almost certainly build up, with time, as you place and remove workpieces from the mag chuck. I am talking about precision ground toolroom stones not the regular ones. One can google precision ground toolroom stones or precision ground flat stones as several vendors offer them for sale.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

This v-block is becoming my favorite one. Only these two holes left.

GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Grinding is quite a rewarding process when all goes well.
Glenn

ctwo

Post by ctwo »

GlennW wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 5:10 pmI've had a Fine EZ Lap for years that I also use for tuning up HSS and carbide cutters. Can't wear it out!
I was remembering it as "20" years and that made me sad thinking of all that lost joy I could have had. These look marvelouse! :mrgreen:
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Back to holding parts on the grinder, here is another way to hold small parts. I made this 1" wide by 2_3/4" long vise several years ago. The moveable jaw is 3/8 thick and the vise body is 3/4" thick. It came in very handy for this small part by placing it on a small magnetic block.
small vise
small vise
The mag block is from Titan Tool and when turned on, holds itself to the grinder table as well as holding on to whatever is on top. (The vise is against the end stop.)
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

How did you create the surface pattern on the vise?

I cheaped out a while back and bought two 1" screwless vises.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Re: the pattern. At the Colorado School of Trades, we used small wire cup brushes loaded with valve grinding compound to jewel rifle bolts because the wires would spring and follow the curved surface.
For this I used a flat ended abrasive cylinder that is held in a collet chuck that is spun vertically in a drill press. It need not be spun too fast. It is in the center pocket of the box in the attached photo.
BrightBoy Abrasives.jpg
The pattern created is up to you.
These abrasives are great for use in a Dremel tool to polish small parts.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

I got a little carried away with this birthday present for a friend. Elm box and jeweled 1.5 inch hobby vise.
Gift vise.jpg
My friend liked it though.
--earlgo
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

I like the patterns. I recall now seeing someone do it with a pencil eraser dipped in polishing compound.