Hybco 1100 Tap Grinder ?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Chipper5783

Hybco 1100 Tap Grinder ?

Post by Chipper5783 »

Has anyone any experience using a tap grinder? Specifically, how multi-purpose is this? How well would it work for any other cylindrical tool grinding (reamers, end mills, drill bits, ...)?

Regards, David
David C. Lathes: Enterprise 1550, Smart & Brown 1024, Mills: Maho MH 600 x2, Cinci Toolmaster, Kasto hacksaw PSB 210, Grinders: Cinc#2 T&C, Ingar 618 SG all but the first came as projects, now they support an endless list of more projects. Good thing I have a day job!
Harold_V

Re: Hybco 1100 Tap Grinder ?

Post by Harold_V »

In my opinion, not well at all. Taps are backed off in a totally different manner than the other tools you mentioned.

In regards to reamers, hand and chucking reamers have little in common, as they work in totally different ways. Hand reamers are tapered at the starting end, turning straight. Such reamers are sharpened using a tooth on the flute. The entire flute is a cutting edge, while chucking reamers are cylindrically ground (and straight, save for a couple tenths taper towards the shank), so they don't cut on the sides. The small chamfer you see at the end of a chucking reamer is the cutting edge, and it's not cylindrically ground, but backed off so only the cutting edge makes contact with the cut, with the periphery of the reamer dictating size and piloting the reamer in the generated hole, assuming the reamer is free to seek center and is not damaged.

End mills have a helical flute, so you must follow the helix when generating the primary grind. Tap grinders aren't capable of doing that.

I'm not convinced the geometry provided by a tap grinder would be proper for drills. Maybe someone else can provide an answer.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

A Polychoke grinding fixture followed me home from an estate sale and it is intended for use on both drills and taps. I have used it very successfully on drills when I had the proper 5C collet. I have not used it on any taps because I have a bunch of new ones and I don't have any 5C collets that fit a tap shank that needed sharpening. This fixture only works on the end of the tool, not the side of the flutes.

The Poly-Choke grinding fixture manufacture was purchased by BMC Tool in Quakertown, PA, but I couldn't find their website today. There is a listing for BMC in Trumbauersvill, PA but no website is listed that I could find.
Here are their instructions on the use of the PC101. (Oh well, too big to be uploaded.)
But it looks like this.
PC101 User Manual cover.pdf
(139.44 KiB) Downloaded 552 times
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Attn: Acme-man and johnfreese:
The PC101 manual was sent to you this morning. Hope you find it useful.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
dkmc

Post by dkmc »

earlgo wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:29 am Attn: Acme-man and johnfreese:
The PC101 manual was sent to you this morning. Hope you find it useful.
--earlgo
Hello Sir,
I sent you a private message regarding your Poly choke manual.

dk
motorman46

Post by motorman46 »

Dear sir, I have been looking for a copy of this manual for the pc101 sharpening fixture. Could you send a copy to me?
Kindest regards,

Julian
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

motorman46: Sent you a PM with my email and a request for yours. Hopefully it will get there through the cyberian wilderness.
--earlgo
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

What is up here? Two of you gentlepeople asked about the PC-101 drill grinder fixture and I sent both a PM to send their email so that I could send the manual in Portable Document Format (pdf). Neither answered. It must have been something I said or did. Any clues?
--earlgo
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Heh!
Looks like dkmc joined simply to talk with you about the manual. He has not paid another visit to the board since June 18th., last year. It must not be very important to him, or he found the information he sought and didn't care to close the issue with you.

motorman46? Good question. Could it be the same reason? He was last on the board on February 11, this year. Could it be he has no clue that you responded to him via PM? Or, did he, too, find the information he sought, and doesn't care to respond?

It sure would be nice if folks responded when they make an inquiry. If nothing else, it lets the respondent know that their valuable time spent trying to help was acknowledged.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

H:Thanks for the support. I thought .... I don't know what. You are most likely right that the correspondents found the info elsewhere. Hope they did. If not the manual is still available upon request for anyone at no cost.
--earlgo