junk yard find

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

endmill

junk yard find

Post by endmill »

my $13.00 find. They shut a local factory down last summer and after the auction this stuff has ended up in the local scrap yard
Attachments
junkyard.jpg
BadDog

Re: junk yard find

Post by BadDog »

Nice, congrats! A few years back I just got the urge to go by a local scrap yard that still let a few folks poke around. Anyway, someone had just dropped off an old CNC machine that was pretty clapped out. But surprise surprise, there was a lot of the tooling there. That's where I got my first Top-Notch insert holder and a few other relatively high dollar bits of tooling. Some of it, including a half dozen WN (trigon negative) holders I didn't really want. I don't use W inserts, preferring to stick to the more commonly available and seemingly less desirable (read often dirt cheap or even free) CN and TN inserts. So I traded those for tooling I wanted. It was a crazy haul for (IIRC) $0.10 a pound, no idea what my final value was on that...
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
endmill

scrap yard

Post by endmill »

yea we are still lucky to have a scrap/junk yard you can still walk around in.
steamin10

Re: scrap yard

Post by steamin10 »

Most recycle and 'scrap yards are closed to the public here, due to insurance demands. I have a long history in talking to the workers , and they can sometimes meet my requests. It is always under the cloud of 'NO'. tho.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Hopefully Harold or Glenn can recombine these threads. ;)

Yeah, I got to walk around for a while after it closed to walk ins because the owner/operator knew me (from my earlier walks). Then he hired a new manager who cut me off.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

BadDog wrote:Hopefully Harold or Glenn can recombine these threads. ;)
Done!

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
WesHowe

Post by WesHowe »

steamin10 wrote:Most recycle and 'scrap yards are closed to the public here, due to insurance demands.
Same here :(

But! In the a nearby town (20 miles by Texas standards) there is a machine shop that will sell me drops at scrap price. A lot of their business is agriculture-related fabrication (there is a cotton gin next door to it, for example) so I have gotten some nice pieces of plate, shafts of diameter as large as I can manage on a 12" lathe, and so on. Ideal for a low-budget hobbyist.

I don't get there that often since my previous trips piled up metals a lot faster than I can convert them to chips. But this may be something you could look for locally to get some project materials (where tight material specifications are not needed).

- Wes
liveaboard

Re: junk yard find

Post by liveaboard »

We have a scrapyard here where I can poke around; the trouble is the owner is totally nuts with his pricing; I can buy new steel, delivered, for the same price [in 20' lengths only]; and for "good stuff" he wants even sillier prices.
I sometimes pick up some short pieces of heavy material from him, 2 to 4 inch rod etc.
Maybe I'm getting 'foreigner' prices, but he doesn't seem to sell much.