Aloris toolholder holders

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveM

Aloris toolholder holders

Post by SteveM »

Here are some pics of my dad's setup for holding his toolholders.

It's simple sections of angle aluminum cut to the right width and then attached vertically up the wall in a space between the closet door and the corner of the wall (how's that for space efficient?).

I think he added a little bevel, but that's probably not needed.

Steve
Attachments
20150315_162352.jpg
20150315_162404.jpg
ken572

Re: Aloris toolholder holders

Post by ken572 »

SteveM wrote:Here are some pics of my dad's setup for holding his toolholders.

It's simple sections of angle aluminum cut to the right width and then attached vertically up the wall in a space between the closet door and the corner of the wall (how's that for space efficient?).

I think he added a little bevel, but that's probably not needed.

Steve
Steve and Most importantly Dad.. :lol:

Thanks for sharing your Very Cool 8) Storage Invention.

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
pete

Post by pete »

Nicely done, I'm going to be borrowing that idea in the future. I've never really liked the idea of hanging them off the rear splash guard since there's just too much chips, oil, coolant etc that has a good chance of hitting those tool holders. It seems a waste to have to clean or at least check them before you can use them.

Pete
RSG

Post by RSG »

Awesome idea Steve. I was looking at the mess I have on the shelf and I think your dads idea could be adapted for my use.

Thanks for sharing.
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Very nice solution.

I very nearly did the same thing, but I find SO many uses for angle iron, I hated to use it for that. My solution was actually quite simple. I had been doing some house work and had a section of fairly clean 2x6 with some bad spots on one side (to be the hidden back side here). I realized that I could mount the blocks using an approach very similar to how you measure a dovetail. Pins. So, I took some wood dowels that were left over from another project, found a CL measurement that would be a slightly loose slip fit for the dovetails, and set up a quick fixture for repeat production style drilling down the board. Took very little time and I had a 2x6 with 25 (or so) pairs of pins; most spaced for the common blocks, and about 8 or so spaced for wider blocks (boring, etc). I then took some other drops from the home remodel work, cut them to a low angle wedge (10* or so?) and cleated them on the back. Painted with cheap black Krylon, mounted the whole thing to the wall horizontally (low, just below a conduit run), slightly tilted back so that gravity holds them in place AND makes it easy to reach down and grab (or replace) as needed. I've been very happy with it, and utilized wall space that otherwise would be hard to utilize.

That's "long term" storage. I also have secondary storage on the lathe for up to 10 or so holders selected for the current project kept at hand and safely in place.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper