ISO Powermatic V-Belt pulley machine work

This forum is for those individuals or small business to solicit requests for Service from those members of our group. Machining, Foundry work, Sheet Metal work etc. This site makes no guarranty of work or represenation by the users of this site. It merely attempts to provide a place to allow individuals the opportunity to meet and discuss needs and capabilities.

Moderator: Harold_V

STRR

ISO Powermatic V-Belt pulley machine work

Post by STRR »

I see the last post was in OCT. 2020. Doesn't seem to be a whole lot going on in this part of the forum.

I have a Powermatic 4 groove B-Belt sheave/pulley I would like to replace. No longer available from Powermatic nor can I find one on the auction site. I am looking for a machinist to turn a new sheave/pulley for me. I will be glad to send the old one for accurate measurements. Approximately 3-4" O.D. and 4-5" long. Can send photos for a rough quote. No immediate need so the timeline is very flexible. Please contact me through the forum.

Thank You,
Terry Miller
BadDog

Re: ISO Powermatic V-Belt pulley machine work

Post by BadDog »

For standard pulleys like that, if you have a local "power transmission" shop for bearings and such, they often have a selection. We have one here called "Bearing Belt and Chain". If they don't have it, they can get it. No idea if they ship, or if it's worth it. Also, a quick search on McMaster turned up.

4 groove pulleys

Good luck.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
STRR

Post by STRR »

Russ,

Thanks for the quick reply and information. The pulley I need is for the saw arbor and as far I have searched and been told, is not being made any longer. Thus, I have three options: 1. Use the one I have with three belts, 2. Keep looking for someone parting out or selling an old saw same as the one I have, 3. Have someone machine one for me.

The one I need is 4 grooves all the same size and diameter with an inner bore to fit the end of the arbor shaft. Pretty simple overall and I could do it myself if my lathe was up to it. I would like to have someone with better machine skills than I have, do the work which I would gladly pay a reasonable rate for. I would much rather share my money with brothers and sisters from this forum. We are much better people to deal with and share with.

Please, Everyone, have a Great and Safe Holiday,
Terry
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

STRR wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:30 pmThe one I need is 4 grooves all the same size and diameter with an inner bore to fit the end of the arbor shaft. Pretty simple overall and I could do it myself if my lathe was up to it.

If the multiple belts are being used to increase power transmission capacity you aren't limited to that method of achieving the required capacity. An alternative to using a four-belt setup would be to convert the machine to use a trapezoidal timing belt drive. A single timing belt of the correct pitch and width, mated with the appropriate pulleys, will easily exceed the capacity of a V-belt setup, and be more efficient as well.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

STRR wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:30 pm The one I need is 4 grooves all the same size and diameter with an inner bore to fit the end of the arbor shaft. Pretty simple overall and I could do it myself if my lathe was up to it. I would like to have someone with better machine skills than I have, do the work which I would gladly pay a reasonable rate for. I would much rather share my money with brothers and sisters from this forum. We are much better people to deal with and share with.
Oh, sorry, I completely misunderstood. I was thinking typical 4 groove step pulley, not 4 belt power transmission. That must be one heck of a saw, my 17" 7.5 HP lathe only uses 3. I could turn it, and would offer to help, but I'm completely upside down with too many long delayed projects needing time, and a constant barrage of derailments (hot water heater failed just yesterday).

But still, if you were even considering purchase at OEM purchase prices, I would think a generic 4 belt pulley could be found through a wide range of providers, or even from another application with similar dims on ebay. Shaft size might need addressing, but that might be possible on your lathe that you state is not up to turning the sheave.

Or as BDD said, change to something easier acquired. Given what OEMs like Powermatic charge for parts, that full refit might be comparable in cost to what they would demand for a pulley.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

You can get those belts + pulleys from [some] bearing supply shops.
First you need to download a catalog and work out your sizes; they show the max speed and power for different belt / pully combinations. It's not difficult.
You can buy plain iron [or steel] hub pulleys that need machining to fit your shaft, or a taper lock system where you order the pully and appropriate hub separately.
They work really well, as when screwed together the hub clamps the shaft. They cost more than plain hubs but a lot less than custom machining. The parts + belts are standardized and replacement belts are available from multiple sources.

The cogged belts come in Metric and Inch pitches. Probably in the US you'll only get inch ones.

I fitted one to a 10HP boat motor [to the propshaft].

Prices vary greatly, it pays to shop around.
I used bearingboys.co.uk
ALCOSTEAM

Post by ALCOSTEAM »

If anyone else needs one the lathe is still set up and ready.
Attachments
IMG_20201226_223433000.jpg
IMG_20201226_223433000.jpg (22.76 KiB) Viewed 16081 times
IMG_20201226_223449553.jpg
IMG_20201226_223449553.jpg (34.63 KiB) Viewed 16081 times
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

ALCOSTEAM wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:30 pm If anyone else needs one the lathe is still set up and ready.
Looks professional. What did you use for material?
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
ALCOSTEAM

Post by ALCOSTEAM »

The original was cast iron.. I ordered cast iron round stock from McMaster-Carr. its what they call impact resistant ductile iron.
The black color is cheap rattle can paint just so it would not rust.
STRR

Post by STRR »

I have received the pulley pictured above. It is PERFECT and an EXACT match to the original. I would have never imagined it would turn out so good. I almost hate to use it and have been thinking of mounting it in a frame and hanging it on the wall because it is so good looking.

If you need one of these, you can NOT go wrong here. Well worth the price.

Thank You ALCOSTEAM!!!!!!
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

STRR wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:04 pm I have received the pulley pictured above. It is PERFECT and an EXACT match to the original. I would have never imagined it would turn out so good. I almost hate to use it and have been thinking of mounting it in a frame and hanging it on the wall because it is so good looking.

If you need one of these, you can NOT go wrong here. Well worth the price.

Thank You ALCOSTEAM!!!!!!
Got any photos of the new pulley (sheave, actually—in power transmission engineering, "pulley" usually refers to a part used with timing belts) installed in your machine?
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

BigDumbDinosaur wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:18 amGot any photos of the new pulley ?
Post #7
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!