H16-44 Lowey Style Drawings?

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

PRR5406

H16-44 Lowey Style Drawings?

Post by PRR5406 »

Does anyone have a scan, or set of scans, for the classic Lowey style Fairbanks-Morse H16-44 (or H15-44) . These can be from a modeling magazine, or other resource other than those currently available online. A Google search has turned up B&O, Southern, and several of the "modernized" H16-44's which looked more like the "Trainmaster". I am specifically hoping to recreate the "sculpted" hood ends, as seen in the image. Numbers would be a huge help over "guesstimates".
Please PM if you have something you're willing to share.

Dick
Attachments
Photographer unknown.
Photographer unknown.
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
Mark Landgraf

Re: H16-44 Lowey Style Drawings?

Post by Mark Landgraf »

FM H-16-44.jpg
NH 562.jpg
Dick

Lake States Railway Historical Association, Baraboo WI - 608-356-5555 - open M-F 9-noon -
They have an Internet searchable database of cataloged collections - lsrha.org
Their collection of Fairbanks Morse Locomotive drawings are mostly uncatalogued - estimated at 100,000 plus drawings
I'm still up for that trip to Scranton to take measurements.

Mark Landgraf
Albany NY
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

Mark: That Southern drawing is about as good as I was able to recover. With gasoline such as it is, it's going to be awhile before I drive to Scranton. When things start to even out and infection out breaks desist, I'll drive out to Lake States.
The FM two-axle truck frame is still very much on my mind. Our colleague hasn't been in touch with me for awhile.

Thanks for the info on Lake States.
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
8thscale

Post by 8thscale »

Dick,
Both the Southern and LIRR locos shown are Phase 1 units. Subsequent units were Ia, II and III. Note the NH unit does not have C-Liner trucks, it was 11/50 so it's the earliest of those shown in this thread so far! I don't think you will find 15-44 units with those trucks as that was too early ('49). First 1600 hp unit was delivered 4/50. Units started using Trainmaster parts by the end of '51.

What roadname are you looking to build?

Depending on interest level I would suggest the H15-44/H16-44 FM Road Switcher book by David Sweetland
https://www.amazon.com/H15-44-H16-44-Fa ... 109&sr=1-1
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

NH 0594 being rebuilt with LIRR 1508 prime mover.  (Drummond)
NH 0594 being rebuilt with LIRR 1508 prime mover. (Drummond)
If I build one, and drawings are the hitch, it will likely be LIRR1508, although I haven't decided on which paint scheme. Why LIRR 1508? When the FM fleet was retired, the prime movers were harvested as "transplants", either for tugs or oil pumping stations. Not 1508! That locomotive was sold to the New Haven for transplant in their 0594, which suffered a catastrophic failure. Once the transplant was completed, the 0594/1508 continued to run for years. I recently received an image of the NH loco being rebuilt with the donor's "heart", from the NYNH&H T&HS (courtesy of Wayne Drummond).

Seems model worthy to me, being an LIRR fan.
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

Once more for the remaining drawings, plans, or black line illustrations of the Loewy carbody design of the Fairbanks Morse H15-44 and H16-44 road Diesel.
I've done an exhaustive Google search online, so what I'm looking for are possible prints squirreled away in files or in that pile of stuff "Uncle Lou brought home from the Jersey Central when he retired".

PM me here, if you will.

I will put the images into a file and will post the address here when it's finally accumulated.
Thank you everyone who already contributed.
Mark Landgraf

Post by Mark Landgraf »

Dick

More FM drawings can be found at:

www.trainweb.org/willstrainart/FM_line.htm

Although these are nice drawings, they lack dimensions and any source information.

Mark Landgraf
Albany NY
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

Friends: I promised you all I would gather all the contributions to my quest for H16-44 information. While I haven't named everyone, I want to tell you how much I appreciate your assistance. I may be asked to withdraw some of the publication images, which I will comply. If anyone cares to add other technical drawings please send them to my email addy and I will include them.
The whole purpose of this collection is to assist in modeling various FM road switchers. If you model the H16-44, please send photos as well.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Dick
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

New images of Pitts & West Va. FM units have been added to the collection.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

Several additional drawings have been added in scale. I believe some of these can be paced in a 3D printer and created.