Installing this set of trucks

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Geochurchi

Installing this set of trucks

Post by Geochurchi »

Hi All, back again with another problem, front truck has
896EA2D0-3CD9-4679-9302-BADBEF1ED102.jpeg
never been removed, hoses still connected , this truck was rebuilt due to a problem with the side bar, unfortunately when it was removed no one paid attention to how the hoses were connected, is there away to tell which hose goes where , both are the same length and not particularly flexible, we assume it will be trial and error but would rather not fight with theses hoses twice.
Thanks
If it ain’t broken keep working on it until it is .
Geo πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ
Steggy

Re: Installing this set of trucks

Post by Steggy »

Geochurchi wrote: ↑Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:22 pm Hi All, back again with another problem, front truck has 896EA2D0-3CD9-4679-9302-BADBEF1ED102.jpegnever been removed, hoses still connected , this truck was rebuilt due to a problem with the side bar, unfortunately when it was removed no one paid attention to how the hoses were connected, is there away to tell which hose goes where , both are the same length and not particularly flexible, we assume it will be trial and error but would rather not fight with theses hoses twice.
Thanks

You're probably going to have to trace the hoses to establish system flow. If the traction motors are plumbed in series (the usual arrangment) and the ports are facing toward the center of the loco, the β€œbottom” port on one motor is connected to the β€œbottom” port on the other. The top ports are connected to the reverser valve or pump assembly, depending on how the propulsion system was designed. Or, the opposite arrangement may be used.

That's all the advice I can offer with the little bit of info you've provided.
Last edited by Steggy on Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”
Music isn’t at all difficult.Β  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!Β  :D
Geochurchi

Post by Geochurchi »

OK , That’s a start, I only have 2 hoses to deal with so I will locate the bottom port on the front truck and go from there.
Geo πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

:mrgreen:

it you get it wrong....well....you have only one correction to make......

and...correct me if i am wrong....if the motors are in series -> then the bottom of one goes into the top of the other....

:shock:
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Geochurchi

Post by Geochurchi »

I have an idea, I will check the setup of one of our other locomotives.
DUH!
Geo πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Bill Shields wrote: ↑Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:16 pm :mrgreen:
and...correct me if i am wrong....if the motors are in series -> then the bottom of one goes into the top of the other....

I'd have to agree. The output of one motor should become the input of the other, assuming they are piped in series. It would certainly be that way with electricity.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Harold_V wrote: ↑Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:35 am
Bill Shields wrote: ↑Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:16 pm :mrgreen:

I'd have to agree. The output of one motor should become the input of the other, assuming they are piped in series. It would certainly be that way with electricity.

H

Technically, there is no designated β€œinput” or β€œoutput” on bi-directional hydraulic motors. Which port is the input or output is determined by the desired direction of rotation. Therefore, you need to visualize the required oil flow in terms of rotation.

In a locomotive using roller chain drive to the axles and when viewed from the side, both motors will be rotating clockwise or counterclockwise, depending on the locomotive's direction of travel. A typical plumbing arrangement has the motor ports in a horizontal plane, with the ports faced toward the center of the locomotive. In this arrangement, the bottom port of one motor is piped to the bottom port of the other motor, or the top port is connected to the top portβ€”I use the latter arrangement in my F-unit.

Using my F7 as an example, when you are viewing from the engineer's side and motor rotation is clockwiseβ€”which means the unit is traveling forward, oil from the reverser valve will enter the motor circuit through the bottom port of the rear motor. Oil will then exit from the top port, travel to and enter the top port of the front motor and finally exit the bottom port of the front motor, returning to the reverser valve. When the unit is backed, the front motor's bottom port is where oil will enter the motor circuit and the rear motor's bottom port will be the exit.
β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”
Music isn’t at all difficult.Β  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!Β  :D
Geochurchi

Post by Geochurchi »

Hi All, is there a need to bleed this motor or should I just connect the hoses and circulate the oil ?
Geo πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Just feed...air will come out and low pressure end
Geochurchi

Post by Geochurchi »

Hi, can I assume that fluid is always flowing through the system when the pump is turning and only when the reversing valve is moved will fluid go to the motors?
Geo πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Assume correctly...
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Geochurchi wrote: ↑Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:46 am Hi All, is there a need to bleed this motor or should I just connect the hoses and circulate the oil ?

What I do is block up the unit so the wheels are clear of the rails, run it in neutral for a minute or two and then alternate between forward and reverse a couple of times. As soon as motor rotation starts, air will be quickly forced out. If using new motors, I recommend you run them 15-20 minutes no-load. After you’ve done this and shut down the prime mover, consider replacing the return line filter to get rid of any junk that got pumped through.

Hi, can I assume that fluid is always flowing through the system when the pump is turning and only when the reversing valve is moved will fluid go to the motors?

As Bill said, yes. Due to unavoidable pumping losses, there will always be some pressure in the motor circuit, even in neutral, which is actually a useful characteristicβ€”it keeps air out of the system.