Hydraulic leak

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

warmstrong1955

Re: Hydraulic leak

Post by warmstrong1955 »

I worked for an equipment manufacturing company, that built drill jumbos & bolters. They are hydraulic intensive machines, and have a whole lot of adapters & hoses. When they got fired up for the first time, it was often an ugly show, with oil dripping, running, and even spraying out from one end to the other.

I started a new policy. The mechanics who plumbed the machine up, would pony up one beer per leak on Friday night.
At first, it was quite expensive, not to mention quite a party to finance, for some of those teams. What was more amazing was how rapidly the start-up leaks went from dozens, to one or two on the next builds.

:) Other Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

That's outstanding!
There's nothing like cause effecting those responsible for the quality.
'Leads to quick improvements.
RussN
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Must have been some great parties, though......
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Greg_Lewis wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:48 pm Must have been some great parties, though......
Absolutely!
I did finance the pizza at first….with company money.
I had to change that plan, and pay for a few pitchers of suds too, as the start-up leaks all but disappeared, and the crew was getting parched on Friday nights!

Other Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.