7.5 inch SW 1500 with Honda?

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

wa6mdi

7.5 inch SW 1500 with Honda?

Post by wa6mdi »

Does anyone know of a fabricator that sells an SW 1500 (or similar size) engine with a Honda 5.5 hp engine? Possibly looking for an SW1, SW 1500 etc with a Honda or similar smaller engine. This would be for 7.5 inch.

Thanks.
makinsmoke

Re: 7.5 inch SW 1500 with Honda?

Post by makinsmoke »

The Trainworks guys are alumni of Rail Systems if I remember correctly.

Rail Systems sold SW switchers with the 5.5 and 16v engines. I bought one with the 5.5. I’m sure the Trainworks guys sell them.

My advice would be to spend the extra money and get the 16v if at all possible. Power is no issue,
but the 16v runs quite a bit quieter and does not sound so much like a lawnmower as the 5.5.

Trainworks has an advertisement on Discover Live Steam.

Take care,
Brian
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Steggy

Post by Steggy »

makinsmoke wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:43 amMy advice would be to spend the extra money and get the 16v if at all possible. Power is no issue, but the 16v runs quite a bit quieter and does not sound so much like a lawnmower as the 5.5.

Also, a 90 degree V-twin is in perfect dynamic balance, so it runs far more smoothly than a single-cylinder engine.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
wa6mdi

Post by wa6mdi »

All good points and I have taken them into consideration. But I'm not after a big engine, been there, done that and got the "T" shirt. My reason is weight and since I'm only pulling one riding car one just needs a small light weight and low maintenance engine.
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Heard a rumor that Morris Switcher was back in production. These are the folks that built the EMD SW 7 locomotive using the 5.5 Hp power plant with a 2:1 reduction that drove a Eaton hydrostatic drive unit. Power was dropped down thru the chassis via chain drive. There was a Tol-o-matic gear box on the inboard axle on each truck with chain drive to the outboard axle. Doesn't get much simpler than that. The Honda engine is "relatively" quiet with their proprietary exhaust muffler.

Morris used to advertise in Live Steam years ago. Have no idea what the going price is for their unit is these days. Good luck in your loco search.
Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

Hi Carl,
That drive system is identical to the Rail Systems SW switcher I have.

Weight. With the 5.5 Honda it’s still pushing 400 lbs plus.

If you really are looking at just one car you might consider the Little Mac or similar battery powered two axle switcher. You can toss it and a riding car in the back of an SUV with the seats down.
DRS_RR

Post by DRS_RR »

I agree about the Mack, mine has a lot of miles on it, and it's easy to transport. Perfect for my backyard tight radius layout too :)
I have a critter built on the chassis that was built at HALS, it's a 4 wheel critter pulls good, not as easy to transport as the Mack, but not as bad as a SW switcher. Mike who builds the SuperRoo built my body. He has a nice looking critter that he produces and it has a good price point. https://www.mikesrailcars.com/

Dave
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

If you go with the gas 5.5HP engine, you can perform custom work on the exhaust/muffler to get rid of 95% of the "lawn mower" noise.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

rkcarguy wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:09 pm If you go with the gas 5.5HP engine, you can perform custom work on the exhaust/muffler to get rid of 95% of the "lawn mower" noise.

That won't help with the mechanical clatter those engines make.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

BigDumbDinosaur wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:54 am That won't help with the mechanical clatter those engines make.
You can minimize it by doing the following:

-Set cold valve lash at zero.
-A long, large diameter tube exhaust system with a packing filled muffler and several turns will deepen the exhaust tone and take ALOT of noise out of the equation.
-Extending the air intake so it pulls air from underneath will also quiet them up.
-Run a quality high zinc oil with good surface tension properties. Getting the bathwater oil out of my engine and replacing it with a good quality high zinc content motorcycle oil made a huge difference. You can also use marine/boat motor oils as well, both are exempt from the EPA requirements which removed much of the zinc, sulfur, moly, and other additives from "on road" car oils. These additives are needed for non-roller cam/flat tappet, and splash lubricated engines.

Honestly I think electric would probably be better for the OP, especially if the batteries can be removed for handling it may make the switcher light enough so two people can load it into a vehicle.
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

Honestly I think electric would probably be better for the OP, especially if the batteries can be removed for handling it may make the switcher light enough so two people can load it into a vehicle.
And that is some of the reasons why RRSC went with batterie power on their GE25 ton switcher. Sound can be added now and the price of the hydrostatic transmissions got ridiculous.

Jim B