Amusement Ride Inspection - Oregon

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

SanDogDewey

Amusement Ride Inspection - Oregon

Post by SanDogDewey »

Where do you find a qualified inspector to comply with amusement ride permit. I have an insurance company lined up. Do they perform the required inspection? I have an existing Oregon Amusement Ride Identification number, but it hasn’t been renewed in a number of years. Oregon requires an annual permit renewal and inspection by ASTM International Standards on Amusement Rides and Devices by jurisdictionally authorized inspectors. Appreciate any information from those who have already been down this road.
Glenn Brooks

Re: Amusement Ride Inspection - Oregon

Post by Glenn Brooks »

We owned concession rides for many years, but never in Oregon. Sounds like you should start off by talking to the State inspectors office - get to know them real well so they understand your equipment and responsiveness to their safety regs. Also sounds like they farm out their annual inspections to either private contractors working on behalf of the state, or perhaps each local jurisdiction has a list of approved inspectors. Either way, likely the quickest way to get plugged in to a renewal process is to start with a call to the State inspectors office.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I agree with Glenn.

If it's the state that's going to go after you if you are not up to snuff, stands to reason they are the ones to go to so you can find out how to be in compliance.

Steve
SanDogDewey

Post by SanDogDewey »

The state requires an inspection by an independent inspector. I have contacted and scheduled an inspection on the train. Contacted RMI to see if they have any manuals they provided with their trains. The train is in the Oregon system as it has a Oregon Amusement Ride Program Identification Number.