VC&W Gets an Oxbow

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

ccvstmr

VC&W Gets an Oxbow

Post by ccvstmr »

A bit of background...

In 2014, was standing in the flea market tent for the local club annual meet when a guy walks up and says..."I'm looking for Carl." Figured SOMEBODY must have pointed me out for the guy. My response..."Well, you found him. Now what?"

The guys name was Hugh from Tulsa, OK. That was quite a trip to Chicago to get info. Hugh saw an e-article I wrote about assembling 7.5" gauge turnouts and wanted to discuss some of the finer points of turnout design/fabrication/installation along with other track work details. After several hours, Hugh decided tackling turnouts was above his level of expertise. In particular, since he was totally new to the hobby.

Long story short, my friend that built the 2.5" scale logging disconnects and I gave Hugh a price to construct turnouts for Hugh's VC&W...the Virginia, Central and Wabash RR with a few of Hugh's specific requirements. Since that time, I've been a remote consultant for his RR and on many occasions, providing correspondence instructions. It helps to have a library of photos from various clubs taken during travels to show how others have tackled similar facets of railroad construction.

Over the years, Hugh has had me provide various services for his equipment. His last request...his wife wanted a "little red caboose" for the back of his trains. Well, she's the railroad president! Once again, Hugh provided a list of expectations (which I helped generate). We agreed on a price and so construction began.

Now I understand where the term "oxbow" cupola roof comes from...because of the shape. Have yet to find any documentation regarding WHY the cupola roof was constructed that way. Does anybody in Chaski-land know? Inquiring minds would like to know. Normally, you don't need extra head room over the caboose center aisle to climb into the cupola seats.

For reference, I had (2) 3/4 view photos of Wabash "cabeese". Numbers #2220 and #2229. Good for identifying details. Not good if you're trying to get dimensions.

Wabash 2220 no data-1.jpg
Wab-2229_4.jpg

The #2229 is supposedly located at the St. Louis Museum of Transportation. Well, wasn't going to drive 12 hours round trip to get photos. Hugh wanted his oxbow to be numbered #2220. I said no problem, but I wasn't about to model screen doors or screened windows.

Found an article in the Sept. 1981 Live Steam magazine with line drawings and dimensions for a Grand Trunk Western oxbow. Would find during the build, there were several differences between the GTW and Wabash cabooses. Some of those differences ended up biting me in the donkey.

Several months later and about 5 weeks behind the original projected delivery date, Hugh was contacted and told his caboose was done. Now I kept Hugh updated on construction progress until a few weeks before the build was completed. The flow of photos was cut off then. Had to save that last look for the "big reveal".

Hugh and his wife made a trip to the Chi town area recently for the pick up. We even made a trip out to the local club for a "road test". Here is a look at what was delivered...surprised myself what rolled out of the shop. If Hugh didn't like the end result, I would have refunded his deposit!

xIMG_5420.JPG
xIMG_5432.jpg

While much of the construction closely followed what was done for the CCV shorty passenger cars and Honest Dave's Central Pacific 1880's passenger cars...if anybody is interested in an Oxbow build thread...can certainly put something together for the Chaski Build Log. Once again, have a library of photos taken during construction. All you need to do is speak up. Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
Mike Walsh

Re: VC&W Gets an Oxbow

Post by Mike Walsh »

Great photos, and GREAT WORK!

I would love to see construction photos. I am working on a 1" scale caboose myself, and this is my second attempt at a caboose. I learned a lot from the first which wound up in the dumpster. I am learning a lot from this one and am excited to finish it and start on the next (one can't have too many cabeese. Right...................?)

Looking forward to whatever you might decide to share.

Mike
NP317

Re: VC&W Gets an Oxbow

Post by NP317 »

Beautiful work, Carl.
Thanks for the peak.
RussN