Seeking Information ... and a clutch.

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

NAXTrans

Seeking Information ... and a clutch.

Post by NAXTrans »

In search of information ... and a clutch.

This 4-4-4 has a Cagney boiler faceplate, but I haven't been able to locate any information about it. It is owned by a Navasink, NJ Fire Company and had been used once each year during their Firemen's Fair from 1968 until 2019.
The train is believed to be from the late '30s and to have originally been part of an amusement area on the New Jersey Shore (most likely north of Pt. Pleasant). It was restored when it came to the Fire Co, but the member who did the restoration has passed and the specifics of the history were lost with him.

The loco is not a live steamer. It has a Wisconsin Air Cooled engine and chain drive. Currently the unit is stored inoperable, as the clutch needs replacement. I have contacted the Wisconsin Engine FB group as well.

Any information on the history/origins of this loco ... and any leads on a replacement clutch ... are greatly appreciated.
Photos are at the link below
Thanks!
https://tools4fire.zenfolio.com/p57532127

Nick Ariemma
Bob D.

Re: Seeking Information ... and a clutch.

Post by Bob D. »

Is photo #18 showing the clutch in the center of the pic? If it has a slippage problem I would think it would be possible to replace the friction material.
3/4" Juliet II 0-4-0
3/4" Purinton Mogul "Pogo"
3/4" Hall Class 10 wheeler
3/4" Evans Caribou/Buffalo 2-8-0
3/4" Sweet Violet 0-4-0
3/4" Hunslet 4-6-0
3/4" Kozo A3. Delayed construction project

1 1/2" A5 Camelback 0-4-0
NAXTrans

Post by NAXTrans »

TY
Bob D.

Post by Bob D. »

Looking at your pics again I realized that the clutch is part of the Wisconsin outdrive, your not doing to have any problems having the clutch rebuilt. Replacement parts may even be found. Alot of those engines were out there.
Plenty of shops still reline and rebuild clutches.
3/4" Juliet II 0-4-0
3/4" Purinton Mogul "Pogo"
3/4" Hall Class 10 wheeler
3/4" Evans Caribou/Buffalo 2-8-0
3/4" Sweet Violet 0-4-0
3/4" Hunslet 4-6-0
3/4" Kozo A3. Delayed construction project

1 1/2" A5 Camelback 0-4-0