A few new signs...

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

OddDuck

A few new signs...

Post by OddDuck »

A few new signs to add to the ODF sign roster! The small square/diamond one is new, the "restricted" sign is based off my PRR "Caution" sign.
Don't have any extras, these are for an order, but if you are interested, let me know.
Attachments
IMG_20211012_130406080~2.jpg
"If you took the bones out they wouldn't be crunchy!" -Monty Python's Flying Circus
PRR5406

Re: A few new signs...

Post by PRR5406 »

Very nice, El Quacko!
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
R Paul Carey

Post by R Paul Carey »

I would be interested; can you advise scale, pricing, and availability?

Many thanks in advance, for your response.

Paul Carey.
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

Hi Paul, thanks for asking. Roughly 1/4 scale ( ish...), The smaller square signs are roughly 6" across the diagonal. Price is $20 each, painted. As far as availability, they are cast as needed. Pm me if you are interested.
"If you took the bones out they wouldn't be crunchy!" -Monty Python's Flying Circus
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

It's been a bit since I have been out in the shop, due to single digit temps most of last month and a round of the Plauge. Finally getting back at it, and I have a few new things.
First is another sign based on my PRR Caution sign. I had an order for a "Tunnel Ahead" sign, so I now have that one in the arsenal. I'm probably only going to make those on request, that way they won't be gathering dust in a tote.
Next, and this is the one I'm more excited about, is what I am going to be calling the "Step Stake". I got the idea from a fraternal order grave marker that my father in law gave to me to possibly make some copies. It consisted of the order's symbol cast onto a shaft with a spike on the end, made to just stick in the sod by hand. I looked at it for a while, and thought, "that would work great for small signs and whistle posts..." Fast forward to now, and here it is! I can think of about a dozen different signs that I am going to do this with. Shown in the pic is four options for whistle posts, I am going to be adding at least three more options on those.
I am going to cast a pile of these, need to gather some materials and make a few tweaks to the pattern, and then I am going to crank some out. They are going to be sold in pairs, $20 per pair painted. Whaddya think?
Attachments
IMG_20220211_185311932~2.jpg
IMG_20220211_185327898~2.jpg
IMG_20220211_185425343~2.jpg
IMG_20220208_110917793.jpg
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

Very innovative sign design, Pete.
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

Thanks Dick!
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

So far, here are the toppers for the step stakes. This should cover a good percentage of whistle posts. I'm still working on the non- whistle post toppers. I'm working on building additional flasks to speed up production when I start casting. If you want a specific topper that you don't see here, and (bonus points) if you have a pic or know where one is, let me know.
Attachments
IMG_20220223_123211739~3.jpg
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

How about your "Watch out for the mailbag" sign? That's a really nice touch.
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

That's a thought, good suggestion. I've also thought about downsizing my "Station 1 Mile" sign, amongst other things. A lot of my signage currently is approximately quarter scale, having it 1/8th might be better, but doing letters smaller is a bit of a PITA. I'm going to do the diamond signs at the top of this thread, perhaps a stop sign of some type, etc. All kinds of options. My thought on the step stakes is they will be easily repositioned if needed, and if regular signage tends to disappear off your layout you can pick them up and store them easily.
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

Hemmed and hawed about showing this one, but what the heck. This is a custom sign I did for the same gentleman that I made the "Tunnel" sign for. And yes, I have his permission to show it.
He wanted a locomotive on the sign, and after some discussion he decided on a head on view, and he sent me a picture of the loco he had in mind. After a little head scratching, I came up with a relief design that turned out very nicely. It's not horribly detailed, but I kinda like the minimalist look of it.
So, if you want a custom sign, and have an idea for a design, let me know.
Attachments
IMG_20220208_110955533~2.jpg
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

Looking back on my post about them, it's not exactly clear what my new StepStakes are. Set a couple out on my RR to show them in use. Even though the ground was still a bit on the frozen side, with the assistance of my trusty pickaxe to make a pilot hole I was able to set them up no prob. Here they are in position, hopefully this gives a little better idea of what they are, rather than a night pic with a snowbank for a backdrop.
Attachments
IMG_20220316_105211654_HDR~2.jpg