What’s the plan?

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Gra2472

Re: What’s the plan?

Post by Gra2472 »

You guys are hilarious. I know that asking an open ended question on a chat board like this can be entertaining, but geez. Let’s be a bit more specific shall we? What kind of live steam projects do you have planned for winter? I was thinking that this might be a fun lead-in discussion for the winter to see how some of our planned projects progress over the next few months. I was also hoping to keep the discussion positive and constructive, but apparently I need to reverse the polarity! Bad Joke! OK stop throwing tomatoes…..especially the rotten ones!

Cheers gentlemen I hope that you are all well.
7.5" Allen Mogul
3 x 7.5" West Valley Baldwin Westinghouse Electrics
The railroad is almost done.
G. Augustus
Monte Rio, Ca.
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

Gra2472, reread your first post. The responses are consistent with what you started. Your post included comments on life in general and plans for some rolling stock and a building construction project. The responses followed suit. This isn't criticism, just an observation. I don't have any issues with your original post or any of the responses.
Last edited by Dick_Morris on Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gra2472

Post by Gra2472 »

Yeah I get it Dick. There’s nothing wrong with where the discussion is going, just changing course a little.
7.5" Allen Mogul
3 x 7.5" West Valley Baldwin Westinghouse Electrics
The railroad is almost done.
G. Augustus
Monte Rio, Ca.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Well then, an honest answer to the question is my next project will be a little tap wrench like this one, but about 4 inches or so o.a.l. I frequently start a tap in the drill chuck but my five assorted tap wrenches won't fit under the chuck to finish the threading. Yes, I can and do often just take the part out of the vise and attach a tap wrench to the tap that's been started but sometimes I want to leave the part in the vise and something like this will do the trick.

After that I'll more than likely get back to the locomotive (1.5 10-wheeler) and work on the electrical stuff (wiring lights) or an air pump.
780F25DD-BA7A-444C-9B23-7872816EFC7E.jpeg
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Garrett...with a technical background, I live by making lists. Don't need a list to pack a suitcase, but need a list to avoid forgetting other items needed for the trip...radios, flashlight, bug spray, camera, etc. Heading to the one track I try to visit 1x per year...there's a Tractor Supply Corp store just down the road from the track.

Plans...well, trying to finish up a wood-sided caboose for a friend. With luck, will be done with this project next week...and then the builders plate goes on. After that, the shop will need a good cleaning. Time to empty the sawdust from the shop vac and under the saw table. Thereafter, there's a bunch of small jobs to complete for fellow train club members. And then...start the design/build of a 3rd shorty passenger car for the Winter months. That will take place here.

At the other shop I work at...might build (2) 34 ft. 2-bay hopper cars, might build (4) tank cars...have (2) aluminum frame Railroad Supply old time gondolas I'd like to build up for traveling riding cars. Oh yeah...at some point, might build a bay window caboose.

If I can't croak until all my projects are done...I'm going to be around for a while yet! Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!