Where to buy Window trim

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Glenn Brooks

Where to buy Window trim

Post by Glenn Brooks »

As followup to my 1/3 scale center cab loco restoration - Looking for ideas to acquire, or fabricate, window trim... for 3/16” Lexan window panes. Windows themselves are generally around 6”x8”, and 8”x12”. ideally should be able to open by mounting on small hinges. Smallest likely to be 4”x5”.

The trim should be somewhat decorative, but also functional, as it should hold the glass/plastic panels in place, and will protect the edges from chipping and cracking. Also, from a modeling perspective, unframed plastic windows in a locomotive cab are just plain cheesy looking- not very representative of modeling the prototype... also should enable the windows to seal shut against the window framing and sheet metal body.

Iam a little stumped on ideas for fabricating something, as I don’t want a three month project trying to machine a bunch of one off frame members...

So looking for recommendations on how to accomplish this.

Thanks much,
Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Dick_Morris

Re: Where to buy Window trim

Post by Dick_Morris »

3D printing is a possibility, but many of the reasonably priced consumer resin printers are too small. Some are just stating to come onto the market for for $700- $800 that would print your frames in one piece if you print at an angle. All you have to do is find someone on the bleeding edge of the hobby. Larger sized filament printers are more common, but don't give as good a finish.

I've had good luck with this type of thing using RTV molds and castable resin from wood or metal originals, but the material can be a bit pricey. Look for Alumalite on U-tube for some ideas.

I made some sliding cab windows from brass bar with a groove rabbited into it and then soldered around a piece of glass. There were only one or two causalities because of unequal heating of the glass while soldering. You might also look for folded some brass or aluminum channel. Fitted carefully you could glue it in place with the glass providing the structure. It would give a finished appearance but wouldn't be very decorative. Micromark has some tiny hinges and Dumas was the the most reasonable price I found for very small piano hinges when I needed some a few months ago. (They aren't really brass, but brass plated steel.) Both of these may be too small for you.
milwiron

Post by milwiron »

For the rubber window holding trim Google- Trim-Lok. They also have a store on Amazon. Look at their one and two piece gaskets.
I've used their trims long ago but not the window holding stuff.
Denny
"Measure twice, curse once."
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Give some thought about Lexan panes. They will scratch much more easily than glass. As to hinges, if you search through some of Jack's posts he's made hinges in special sizes and the process is easy enough that even I was able to make some. I also found some in the dollhouse suppliers online. That might also be a source for some decorative moulding; I've seen it there but not sure what you're looking for.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Perhaps something useful here:
https://www.mcmaster.com/trim/
RussN
vernon911

Post by vernon911 »

Drop us a note at Precision Steel Car and will send you picture of our window trim. It has an H cross section to hold the window in place. Designed for 1:8 scale but we have 2 versions to accommodate 1/16” material and another for 1/8” thick material. Might be worth a look.

Sincerely
Paul Vernon
PSC
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

NP317 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:47 pm Perhaps something useful here:
https://www.mcmaster.com/trim/
RussN
McMaster has everything lol.
I think the aluminum channel with a "slippery plastic trim" insert would make a great slide/frame for the windows.
Look into that special aluminum soldering/brazing rod for the corners.
The secret to nice sliding windows is keeping them lubed with dry silicone spray.