Breaking Small Drill Bits

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Harold_V

Re: Breaking Small Drill Bits

Post by Harold_V »

Doesn't surprise me a bit, Greg.
When I worked at Sperry, the sheet metal shop was adjacent to the machine shop. They used air drills for all holes for the riveting that was accomplished on the brake system skin, so they were constantly drilling. While they were drilling aluminum, not steel, it made a huge difference in how quickly the holes were drilled. A bit on the noisy side, though. :-)

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
squandt

Re: Breaking Small Drill Bits

Post by squandt »

I worked in the thermoforming industry, we made molds to make plastic parts that needed many many vacuum holes in them. We used #60 bits to drill up to 1/2 inch deep vac holes, we pecked and pecked and pecked till we got thru,on a mill with tons of oil( water based) only ever broke 1 bit in 15 years of doing it,it was a bitch removing it,had to drill from the back side a larger hole then to a punch to drive the remains out. Try pecking ,will take more time,run the mill/drill press at 2500 rpm(if you can) lots of oil.
stay on the shine side of the rail