Crossing Gates

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

dwilloughby

Crossing Gates

Post by dwilloughby »

I'm looking for a drawing for crossing gates, especially for the mechanism that is use to raise and lower the arm. I am planning on using air cylinder(s) to do the work. Thanks. Dean
STRR

Re: Crossing Gates

Post by STRR »

Dean,

I found one in an OLD Live Steam magazine. I thought I had filed the info on this computer but I can't find it now. I have found the drawings and photos of the one I built. I am very impressed with the design. I made my electric powered but the original was AIR powered. The author did a very nice job. I run mine in the winter so air power was not the best option due to airline freeze.

I believe if you look in a Live Steam Index that covers all the years published, I'm sure you will be able to find it. If not, let me know and I will dig out my magazines and see if I can find the issue and year.

I highly recommend this crossing signal. I'm sure you will be happy with it.

Good Luck,
Terry
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Dean, there are several ways that I can think of to actuate a crossing gate arm. No matter what mechanism you ultimately select, you'll have to ensure the counter weights on the arm closely match the gate weight so it takes as little effort as possible to raise/lower the gate.

You mentioned pneumatics. The length of the piston stroke will be determined by the mounting location. The closer the piston attachment point is to the gate fulcrum...the shorter the piston travel. Whether you choose to use a double-acting cylinder or single-acting spring return...you can install flow control valves to control the rate at which the arm lowers or raises.

Another option, use a motor with disk on the shaft...and a linkage from the disk to the gate arm. Fabricate a cam assembly so the motor turns 180 degrees with each activation. Limit switches are used to stop motor rotation. For this kind of arrangement, the motor always turns in the same direction. Have a mechanism like this controlling a couple electric switch motors on the club railroad.

Another option, use a reversible motor...one direction gate lowers, other direction gate rises. Would need limit switches to stop the motor at the end of both travel limits.

There's probably more ways to accomplish what you're looking to do. Hope this helps. Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
STRR

Post by STRR »

Hello Dean,

Were you able to locate a copy of Live Steam? If so, what did you think?
Signal Arm Up.JPG
My Crossing signal (portable) we set up for Christmas.

Good Luck,
Terry
dwilloughby

Post by dwilloughby »

Terry,
Found the article after a search in a large pile of of Live Steam magazines. Thanks
STRR

Post by STRR »

You're Welcome. I built mine exactly as the article detailed with two major exceptions. First, mine is all-electric, and second, the crossing arm is shorter than the article. I made this one just long enough to reach across the sidewalk. I forgot I added two more lights on the back side to make it a 4 light signal.

I hope you enjoy the article and build one for yourself.

Cheers,
Terry
8thscale

Post by 8thscale »

Based on the picture I'm guessing Nov/Dec 1997 Ken Schroeder?

Found w/ LSORR search.
http://www.livesteam.net/magazine/article-index/
Dave