Rail spacing for 7-1/2” gauge Equipment

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

FLtenwheeler

Rail spacing for 7-1/2” gauge Equipment

Post by FLtenwheeler »

What rail spacing are you using on curve track for 7-1/2” equipment? And why?

7-9/16” or 7-5/8”?

Thanks

Tim
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
ERIE S-1 BERKSHIRES

Re: Rail spacing for 7-1/2” gauge Equipment

Post by ERIE S-1 BERKSHIRES »

I believe at Dick McCoy's, Mill Creek Central is 7 5/8 , and at the Pittsburgh, Akron and Western railroad we use 7 5/8
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

7 5/8 on most west coast tracks, even on the straights as it's easier to make or use ties that way. It does not cause hunting on tangent sections as the wheel tapers keep the equipment lined up. It keeps the flange away from the rail, saving wear on both and helps very large engines stay on the track better.

An exception would be a couple of dual-gauge tracks in existence - Nick Edwards' Wimberly, Blanco & Southern is a tight 7.5" gauge and can accomodate 7.25" gauge locomotives, the switches are all carefully set up to accept both.

There are a few that are 7 9/16, and you may need to go to 7 5/8 on sharp curves depending on the diameter of your drivers. If you use 7 5/8 throughout, you can pretty much run any practical curve radius down to 25ft without worrying about it in most cases. The accu-tie product we sell at Allen Models is 7 5/8, and the ties made for 7 1/4" gauge are 7 3/8".
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
RONALD

Post by RONALD »

I have made my own track gauges out of steel bar, but I just noticed Precision Steel Car Co. has aluminum gauge bars for sale:

https://www.precisionsteelcar.com/details_misc.html

I use 7-9/16 for Straight Track, and 7-5/8 for Curved Track also, and it's easy to misplace a bar.

My steel bars, 1-1/2" x 1/2" x 10", have 7-9/16 milled on the long side, and on the same bar 7-5/8 milled on the short side.
vernon911

Post by vernon911 »

We (Precision Steel Car) do carry both sizes of track gauges 7-5/8" and 7-9/16" in aluminum. They are milled with the gauge width but if you are using both we would recommend painting them different colors and preferably a bright color. We sell mostly 7-5/8". Even with a good track jig its handy to have a few for quality checking, in field rebuilds and switch building. Price is $8

Sincerely
Paul
www.precisionsteelcar.com