Lathe for turning wheels

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

rkcarguy

Re: Lathe for turning wheels

Post by rkcarguy »

I have plans for a "Hustler", maybe a 0-6-0 build in the future, and 4-6 pieces of rolling stock, so my use of the lathe would probably be low-moderate. Ultimately I'll see what I can come up with around my budget and weigh the options, but it's got to be able to handle 1" through the spindle and turn wheels at least 9" in diameter. Things get much larger pretty quickly even in 2" scale compared to 1.5".
I've seen a few listings with VFD's mentioned, I'll research that and see what it's all about.
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

Hey, one more question, are the 9"-10" south bends/ Atlas lathes capable of being re-motored for some more umph? Or do things start to flex/break?
For example if I went with a 1-1/2HP motor?
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Ryan,

9” South bends generally came with 1/4 and 1/2 hp motors. Sometimes it’s beneficial to replace those old motors with 1/2 to 3/4 hp, because of changes in the footplate mounting bolt patterns. But I don’t think you be satisfied with something as large as 1.5 hp. Way to much power and torque for the design and belt drive method.

BTW, you can buy 1HP 110 to 220 3p VFD’s now for around 100 bucks. I have one for my 3p Baldor pedestal grinder. I love it. plug n play after the initial setup.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
LIALLEGHENY

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

Ryan,

I had a 9" Southbend that was almost new, with every option/accessory made for it. Beautiful little machine, but it was too little. I sold it for that reason. Stick with something 12" or bigger.

Nyle
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

I have a 9" south bend lathe, and had one other before this one. They are great little machines, little being the major word here. They don't have a lot of power and definitely not nearly as rigid as a larger machine. I wouldn't want to turn anything larger than about a 5" or 6" wheel on one. You will run out of capacity very quickly. The flat belts also don't transmit power very good, so your belt will slip and come off under a heavy load. Mine has a 3/4 HP motor on it, and I've never really heard it load up too much. I could put a rubber belt on there and get a little bit more power, but that's not really what I use it for. These lathes are GREAT for small work, and I prefer it over the Monarch when making fittings, pipe couplings, and other small parts. For turning a 9" diameter wheel with a flange on the outside of it, I would be after a 12" swing or larger. definitely no less. The south bend has a 9" swing, but that doesn't mean that it would be very useful in trying to turn a 9" wheel on it.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

I call my Atlas 12 The Flexible Flyer. I can put a dti on a short piece of stock in the chuck and push on the headstock with my hand and watch the dti move. A larger motor w. more torque would not be a good idea.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

RK...

Have a '41/'42 vintage 12" Atlas/Craftsman. Probably used by the defense department for training before WWII. Nice machine...for hobby work. Certainly wouldn't use this for production purposes. My lathe was a gift from a machinist cousin when I was in high school taking metal shop.

The spindle can be tightened up...to minimize run out. The bigger problem...you'll find the carriage/compound doesn't have the rigidity needed to minimize or eliminate chatter when cutting wheels. 've turned plenty of car wheels on my lathe...slowest speed with the back gears engaged. If you're looking to hold numbers for a design for wheels, axles or other heavy hardware, you should look for something a little more robust. Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Carl is right about the chatter on the Atlas. I think mine is influenced by the phase of the moon. One day it will chatter. Come back later in the week for the same cut and it won't. And trust me, I've been all over it with all the various techniques for eliminating chatter and it just comes down to the mood of the machine on that particular day.

I do like the lightweight cross slide and tailstock as they are easy to manipulate compared to heavier machines, and the lathe is nice for small stuff, but once I get over an inch in diameter I start wishing for something more robust.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

I've had 6" and 12" Craftsman/Atlas lathes and a 12"x36" Asian (Taiwan?) lathe. The Asian lathe was far heavier and more rigid than the others and a better choice for wheels. A few years ago I did a run of 32 car wheels on the Asian lathe without problems.

Note that one way to decrease chatter is to slow down the speed. One time I did some wheels on the 6" Craftsman and the radius was done by feeding in only a 1-2 thousandths per revolution and pulling the chuck over by hand. It worked, but it isn't something I'd recommend. My recollection is that the 12" Atlas has a back gear speed in the 40s. When I was in the market a few years ago the Asian lathes typically had a low speed in the 80s. If you plan to turn wheels this is something to keep in mind. With the low cost of VFDs the higher spindle speed on the Asian lathes is no longer an issue (if you fit one).

One suggestion I've seen is to use a piece of steel plate under a 12" Atlas to improve the rigidity. I was going to try that but came upon someone who was selling the 40-year-old Asian lathe.

If I were buying a lathe today I would go with a 12" or 13" Asian lathe or a U.S. lathe with the same amount of cast iron in it and fit a 3-phase motor and VFD from the beginning.
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

The Southbend Heavy 10 is a completely different animal than the 9-10k’s.

Can be had with a 4 Ft bed, 2-1/4-8 spindle and 5C collets, and stuff for it is everywhere.

Just my two cents.

Brian
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

An SB Heavy 10 was my first WANT when I started researching lathes, its got the bigger through spindle bore and therefore fits the 5C collets, etc. Unfortunately in this area they are ridiculously priced unless you come across someone who doesn't know what they have.

If I had the $$$$, Grizzly has new SB Heavy 10's on sale for $7,500 now.
https://www.grizzly.com/products/South- ... the/SB1007
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Find a way to get it. You'll kick yourself if the opportunity is missed.

Several years ago I got a new Grizz G0709 lathe, 14-40 gear head, D5 head, 220V single phase.
Set up with 5C collets and a DRO I installed.
I remain immensely happy with its performance. It cuts as heavy as I need with repeatable accuracy.
RN
Attachments
New Lathe 3 sml.jpg