Lathe for turning wheels

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

rkcarguy

Re: Lathe for turning wheels

Post by rkcarguy »

The 6x4 rectangle tube for the bed/base of the lathe got drilled today.
Next steps will be to weld on the "feet" which have integrated mounting plates for the flange bearings for the carriage screw, shot blast the whole weldment and then machine the top flat.
HSSlathebed2.JPG
rkcarguy

Re: Lathe for turning wheels

Post by rkcarguy »

I don't have any new pics to post as of yet, but had a successful Holiday season and Birthday which yielded a 5/8" carbide insert boring bar, 2 dial indicators, a second tool holder, and a MT#3 1/32"-5/8" chuck that pretty much completes my "starter kit" of tooling (thank you Amazon for "wish list" otherwise my family wouldn't have had a clue what this stuff was). The lathe "way plate" is cut and due to go in the machine soon to get the rows of countersunk bolts and tapped holes for the tailstock. It ended up being 3/4" plate as we had had a remnant that was too narrow to be used and just made it for my part. I am bolting the tailstock down with 2ea 5/8 bolts, instead of having it clamp on as they always move when you really start pushing with a bigger drill. It has 3 rows of holes in it spaced 1-3/4" apart, and then the "way" plate will have tapped holes 3-1/2" apart. Combined with at least 4" of travel in the tailstock, it should have plenty of adjustment and I can put 4 bolts in it if I'm really reefing on it...trying to push a large drill through 1" + plate for example.