coupler cut levers question.

This forum is dedicated to Riding Scale Railroading with propulsion using other than steam (Hydraulics, diesel engines, gas engines, electric motors, hybrid etc.)

Moderator: Harold_V

Terr1bleone

coupler cut levers question.

Post by Terr1bleone »

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but I was wondering if anyone has any pictures of functioning side cut levers for couplers, for the lower freight style, not top pin.
specificity mercer couplers, but also have some super scale couplers I want to modify in the future.
It appears the tang is cast for a drill spot to use it but possibly I am missing some linkage. The tang also appears too short for a direct connection, unless It needs to be machined for the linkage. If anyone has pictures of working mechanisms or linkage or schematic i would appreciate it.
rkcarguy

Re: coupler cut levers question.

Post by rkcarguy »

I've done quite a bit of picture research on these. On my Tom Bee couplers there is a notched bar that slides vertically inside and when it's pushed up, the notch allows the knuckle to swing open. It's long enough that the cut lever bar will be able to directly contact the portion hanging out the bottom of the coupler. If you are lacking this, you may need to drill a hole and solder in some sort of extension? Maybe a roofing nail? The coupler will need to be able to contact the cut lever bar in all the range of it's swing/pivot.
I'm sort of doing the opposite you are, as I'm converting one of mine to a top pin for the front of my locomotive. I'm hoping the hardware store will come through with a #8 threaded eye bolt I can drill and tap into the bar. I also need some mini chain, no idea where to get that I've been coming up empty so far.
Terr1bleone

Post by Terr1bleone »

I might try your idea of brazing on an extension to the tang. it is setup for bottom release but its almost recessed to fully release, leaving no room for the small rod.
Looking at it it and talking to Dave from mercer, it seems that I may be missing a link and might have to mill a slot for clearance.
you should be able to get the chain you need from Precision steel car co.
Terr1bleone

Post by Terr1bleone »

I ended up cutting out the coupler body to expose more of the tang, and using the existing tabs as a pivot.