buying engines

This forum is for Internal Combustion Engines such as Hit 'n Miss, Throttle Goverened One Lungers etc. Repair, Machining, Operation, Buy/Sell/Trade of these engines are all topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

ronm

Post by ronm »

Harold, I didn't ever know the Cholas family,although I've heard the name. Prob. before my time, if they went out of business that far back. I knew a lot of the sheep ranchers when I worked at the JD dealer in Grand Junction. Clathis, Jouflas, Mahleris, Patsanteras, were some of the Greek names, they & the Basques seemed to gravitate to the sheep business, which is sadly just about gone...used to be literally millions of sheep in the high country, the enviros & the coyotes have decimated the industry, along w/market forces, of course.
Oh well, getting way OT here-I tried to post a pic of Max's show, & lost the whole post, had to type this over, so I'll try again.
Later-Ron
mrford

Re: buying engines

Post by mrford »

Try cabin fever expo this saturday there will be more than enough to keep you occupied for the day.Its in york pa. and worth the trip !!! :D
Steve Bratina

Re: buying engines

Post by Steve Bratina »

I have been collecting steam engines and equipment for a project in my back yard for several years. Most of the stuff was given to me by industry but there are some places you could try. Old feed mills had some old gas engines that may still be in place but replaced with electric engines. Also, I have seen many different engines go to scrap yards. Leave your name and what you are looking for at the desk and they may get back to you if something comes in. Another place is garage sales. You would be amazed at what is in peoples garages.
A blurb in a local paper can also sometimes bring a response or a lead. One thing that I have learned from an old chum. If you go to someone to look at buying an engine, be pretty straight forward and don't knock what they have. Had some guys try to get the price down by pointing out all the bad things. It just gets the owner mad and usually ends the discussion.
Good Luck!