Steam Driven Air Compressor **SOLD**

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

utahwestie

Steam Driven Air Compressor **SOLD**

Post by utahwestie »

Hello all,

I’m looking to part with one of the jewels in my collection. It is a “Cross compound Westinghouse Air Compressor”
Built by Richard Ulin back in 1992.
It appears to have been built from a set of Super Power Model Detail castings. This is a working unit, I’ve tested it on air only, and with a little steam oil to try help protect the internals. As you can see the air filter element is in need of replacing. Comes with nice stand with small placard. Further photos are available on request. I’m asking $3500 OBO. Please send me a DM with your contact details. I’m will to ship almost anywhere. Lower 48 shipping would be covered, anywhere else….let’s talk it out and get quotes if needed…

Cheers for looking.
Ant.
Attachments
61E98F3A-23A2-4928-A97D-861CE34D162F.jpeg
65B67782-E25F-4E10-ADB0-C134502F3100.jpeg
1B8C4694-8FE6-403B-8CE3-243F5FA60579.jpeg
AAA080B9-3419-4101-8EED-3FF9EB4080E4_rotated.jpg
21753B2F-7619-4506-AB98-992F15AEDA2A_rotated.jpg
FBB62E01-0C0B-4FCF-9C30-280F288A3346_rotated.jpg
Last edited by utahwestie on Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~Anthony~
~Ex Pat Kiwi now living in Salt Lake City, Utah
squirrel22

Re: Steam Driven Air Compressor

Post by squirrel22 »

Hello, I am interested in purchasing your compressor. Please call Tom at 612-532-6476. Thanks! My email address is; tomthebomb1@hotmail.com
Last edited by squirrel22 on Tue May 31, 2022 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carrdo

Post by Carrdo »

It would be very interesting to see on these units, how the pilot valve and the shuttle control valve have been modified (?) so as to make a reliable operating unit. No one, as far as I understand it, has ever taken one of these units apart (and documented it) to see what modification(s) were made. I understand that Barney Barnfather was the person who undertook some of the modifications in this regard (for some of Tom Millers Big Boy air compressor units).

Richard (RET) is trying also but more work has yet to be done.
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

Isn't EE and Brian Keim making working compound air pumps ? Didn't Moes in Canada make one as well?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKDRsGkbFOY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmGIlKsuHNU
Carrdo

Post by Carrdo »

I know for certain that (from a source that made components for these units) that MOE's Westinghouse steam driven air compressors were not reliable. Just ask Trainman as well.

I don't think that EE has a working unit yet - only the castings.

And if Brian Keim made a reliable working unit, he isn't saying what he did to make it so. There are videos of his unit running - but reliably so???

The only person who said his unit(s) were totally reliable was Tom Miller and this was with the Barnfather modified units.
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

Carrdo, methinks that Ted McJannett has two of these beasts in working condition. Why not give him a call and see if he'll let you disassemble one:-)).
Carrdo

Post by Carrdo »

Wolfgang,

You are closer to Ted than I am. Can you ask him which pumps does he have - the MOE's ones? And has he run these steam driven duplex air compressors on steam and not just on air? Also, when the pump is shut down will it start up again reliably on steam?

Also, I think he would trust you to pull apart the units he has more than myself and make a few dimensioned sketches.

I know I am giving you a work program.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Wow. A piece of artwork!

Steve
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

Carrdo wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 2:05 pm Wolfgang,

You are closer to Ted than I am. Can you ask him which pumps does he have - the MOE's ones? And has he run these steam driven duplex air compressors on steam and not just on air? Also, when the pump is shut down will it start up again reliably on steam?

Also, I think he would trust you to pull apart the units he has more than myself and make a few dimensioned sketches.

I know I am giving you a work program.
Hello Carrdo!
Ted's compound compressors were made in China; I think they may have been ordered by Harry S., a member of the HMEC. Harry sold a set of locomotive castings and other material to Ted because Harry lost interest in building that model. I've seen the castings and flame-cut frames: they are huge. Ted has a full-sized shop and can do this.
I'll talk to Ted; I'll see him in June anyways for our annual steam boat trip on Lake Muskoka.
Mind you, Ted may not be THAT trusting that he'll let me take the pump apart:-))
I'll let you know. Wolfgang
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

where in china would you order 1.5 scale CC airpumps? Will be interesting to see if Keim / EE offer working CC pumps.
Tom. NY

Post by Tom. NY »

Have a Power Models Supply Co Steam Driven Air Compressor on a Pacific That has not been a problem, i might still have the drawings if anybody is interested.
tomc

Post by tomc »

Tom, I am if it is a single cylinder

Tom C.
tom_at_srclry_com
A student of the Southend RGS!