Steam Driven Air Compressor **SOLD**

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

Tom. NY

Re: Steam Driven Air Compressor

Post by Tom. NY »

PDF for Steam driven Air pump
Tom. NY

Post by Tom. NY »

Hello Tom, Yes it is if you PM me with your email address, I will the PDF, too large a file to attach here.
squirrel22

Post by squirrel22 »

Hello my email address is; tomthebomb1@hotmail.com
INGE

Post by INGE »

https://youtu.be/0EnuM860TQg
Here is a Moe's steam air compressor running on air. This one was gone through by a highly respected builder/machinist in our club and runs very well. If interested, send me a PM for details.
Mountaineer

Post by Mountaineer »

^^^ nice pump. Even nicer Morgan!
daves1459

Post by daves1459 »

Tom. NY wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 3:05 pm Have a Power Models Supply Co Steam Driven Air Compressor on a Pacific That has not been a problem, i might still have the drawings if anybody is interested.
A photo of your pump would be very helpful.

Dave
Dan Willey

Post by Dan Willey »

Hi Tom (NY),

I would very much appreciate a copy of those compressor drawings too if you don't mind.
My email address is: danwilley77@gmail.com

Thanks!
Dan
1/8 scale: Mercer Locomotive K4, Saturated Steam E6
Full scale: Woodings CBL speeder/motorcar NARCOA
Tom. NY

Post by Tom. NY »

Hello Dave
I will try to get a picture but the engine is inside the house & i was not planning to move it this year. I am currently working on a mogul which is taking my time.
squirrel22

Post by squirrel22 »

Hello, Sorry you have not responded to my messages. I am interested in purchasing your compressor. Please call me at 6125326476 thanks,Tom
INGE

Post by INGE »

Here are some things that need to be done to the Moe's compressor to make it reliable:
1. clean up the check valve seats on the air side as they show signs of tool chatter from the factory and don't seat well, use an end mill to touch them up
2. install a good check valve right at the air outlet. This will keep the tank pressure from leaking past the internal check valve and pushing on the piston, hampering start up. This gives the air piston a chance to bleed down when shut down. This check valve will also make the system more efficient so the compressor is not continually pushing against the tank air.
3. Use the orange silicone orings through out. They are more pliable for sealing, and more slippery than viton, less likely to stick. McMaster Carr has them.
4. Put a tee on the air inlet with a plug so you can add a few drops of air oil occasionally to the air side. Failure to keep the air piston lubricated will result in galling and sticking of the piston.
5. Use a good lubricator on the steam inlet, a mechanical lubricator that you could operate from the cab would be better than a displacement lubricator.
utahwestie

Post by utahwestie »

Compressor is sold.

Great information on making Moe's more reliable INGE.
~Anthony~
~Ex Pat Kiwi now living in Salt Lake City, Utah