For Sale 7.5" gauge Lucky 7 ****SOLD****

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

Sandiapaul

For Sale 7.5" gauge Lucky 7 ****SOLD****

Post by Sandiapaul »

This is a 7.5” gauge Lucky 7 designed by Don Young. The construction was serialized in Live Steam magazine starting in 1977. My dad and I started it soon after that and I did the machine work on the frames and drivers and axles and a few other parts. Over the next dozen plus years my dad worked on it finally finishing it in about 1990 or so.

The engine has been fired and run no more than 10 times, I think maybe as few as 6 times.
I was present for the maiden run when we had to abort the run because the backyard track we took it to had very sharp curves and the pilot wheels were rubbing. My dad ran a few more times after that but by then he was in his eighties and it was too much for him. I have had it since he passed away in 1995. It has never been run or fired since sometime in the 1990’s.

The boiler is steel with copper flues, coal fired, professionally built by Chan Bleil of Ohio.

Superscale whistle.

There is plumbing in place for a generator, but the generator has been lost to the ages.

2 injectors of British make, one is larger that the other, I have some literature on one of them. No other water feed. Our plan was to make a riding car for the operator to sit on and carry extra water and coal. There was also to be a hand pump on the car. One picture shows the engine under steam with a borrowed gon showing how we wanted that setup to work. In that picture the engine has a wood cab that was later painted over in black ,like it is in the rest of the pictures.

2 safties..I think they might have come from Coles.

Hydrostatic lubricator.

The original cab roof was thin aluminum and it has come loose. I thought it was too thin so I had some 12 gauge aluminum rolled to replace it, but never got around to it, I have the rolled section and the original roof. The roof would need to hinged or be removable to make firing it easier.

If I were going to keep this engine I would go over all the plumbing and perform a hydro and a steam test or two to test everything out. If the buyer was going to re-gauge it this would be a great time to do all that work.

Why am I selling it? For one it is 7.5” and I am in 7.25” land. And I have too many other projects going now that I really want to concentrate on. I think it is a fine engine that someone out there will appreciate and give it the care it deserves. You will need to come and pick it up at my place in central New Jersey.

If the buyer desires I can make copies of the correspondence my dad had with Don Young over the years. Don’s letters make for entertaining reading. I want to keep the original letters.

Also some may wonder why “Lucky 7” is number 11. My dad was born 11.11.11 and anything eleven was, and is, a special number in our family. Chagrin River is a river near where I grew up in northeast Ohio.
$8500.00
Contact me through the site or at locolima @ gmail

See this link for the pictures. Note the pictures on the flickr site can be greatly enlarged for detail.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/20941728@ ... 7801673581

LUCKY7.JPG
Sandiapaul

Re: For Sale 7.5" gauge Lucky 7

Post by Sandiapaul »

Got it running today...oiled everything and pressurized the boiler. It ran on 20 psi or less

https://youtu.be/KqeV3IOLJrw
Sandiapaul

Re: For Sale 7.5" gauge Lucky 7

Post by Sandiapaul »

Engine is sold.