Coal in Lancaster, PA

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

ebtfan

Coal in Lancaster, PA

Post by ebtfan »

I am planning to buy some coal from Penn Keystone. If you do a search there is a thread on this website about a purchase of coal from this vendor. Here is a link to their website.

http://www.penncoal.com/blacksmith-live-steam.html

I contacted them last week to inquire about picking up a few bags of the Pocahontas Live Steam coal in nut size. I was told that now the minimum order is 30 bags. I currently do not have space or want 30 bags so I am asking if anyone in the Lancaster, PA area would like to purchase a few bags from me if I proceed with buying thirty bags. If interested please PM me with your request.

Thanks, Dan
NP317

Re: Coal in Lancaster, PA

Post by NP317 »

Dan:
Can your local Live Steam club/track purchase the coal load and resell it to members?
I've benefitted from past transactions like that.
RussN
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

That is a bummer...I used to buy coal from them in onesies or twosies....but that was 10 years ago and times have changed

Guys at PLS have been selling this stuff but the bag. Thinking that a member known as Big John may be a good contact.

I will be there next weekend and if I remember I will ask him.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
amadlinger

Post by amadlinger »

Hi Dan,

Another option to consider is a coal dealer on Rt 12 in Frenchtown, NJ (a tad closer to you than Penn Keystone) that the NJLS and PLS folks have been using recently for soft coal with great success. He doesn't have a website, but I can PM you his number if you are interested. He sells individual bags, pallets, and loose of both soft and hard coal. The soft burns hot with low ash and light smoke.

I also particularly like that he offers the nut size in addition to pea size. The nut size, being slightly larger, seems to allow for better airflow and better steaming for me.

Credit goes to @Steam Engine Dan for finding this dealer!

I believe that Wayne Godshall also sells soft coal.

Sincerely,
Adam
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Big John works for Wayne... :mrgreen:
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
ebtfan

Post by ebtfan »

Thanks all for your alternative ideas on how to obtain coal in this area. For now I am going to see how many of the 30 bags of coal live steamers in this area would be interested in purchasing for $15.00 bag plus tax.
Adam - thanks for offering the name of anther supplier in my area.
I purchased some coal from Wayne G. in the past but recently he told me is not selling any at this time.
Steam Engine Dan

Post by Steam Engine Dan »

amadlinger wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:16 am Hi Dan,

Another option to consider is a coal dealer on Rt 12 in Frenchtown, NJ (a tad closer to you than Penn Keystone) that the NJLS and PLS folks have been using recently for soft coal with great success. He doesn't have a website, but I can PM you his number if you are interested. He sells individual bags, pallets, and loose of both soft and hard coal. The soft burns hot with low ash and light smoke.

I also particularly like that he offers the nut size in addition to pea size. The nut size, being slightly larger, seems to allow for better airflow and better steaming for me.

Credit goes to @Steam Engine Dan for finding this dealer!

I believe that Wayne Godshall also sells soft coal.

Sincerely,
Adam
yup our supplier in frenchtown has been very good to us, last time we got coal from him a 50 pound bag was 8 bucks. but yea funny story, i found him advertising that he had coal for sale in a treasure chest newspaper ad at a antique store at my mall i used to work at 7 seven years ago. my father called him up and asked if he had any soft coal for sale which he did. we went and picked it up and he told us at the time he was looking to get OUT of the coal business so we could take what he had. once we told our friends at NJLS about the great quality of the coal. word got around fast between NJLS and PLS. so just as he was looking to get OUT of the coal business, we live steamers got him back INTO the coal business. and it really is great quality coal, it burns hot, very low ash and low smoke. he sells both pea and nut of both soft and hard. the price is right and he's local. my attached photo of the quality of the coal. i had just put a fresh scoop on, but when we are out running the stack is usually cleaner than this. but still the smoke does not bother our eyes which is the best part and you still get that good sulphur smell.
Attachments
Resized_untitled-6_jpeg.jpg
Last edited by Steam Engine Dan on Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

"...that good sulphur smell."

An appropriate and entertaining oxymoron.
((-;
RussN
Steam Engine Dan

NP317 wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:52 am "...that good sulphur smell."

An appropriate and entertaining oxymoron.
((-;
RussN
it's good stuff russ.
Steam Engine Dan

another picture, lots of steam to spare. with a decent plume. the third photo is with a cleaner stack. again great quality coal, very affordable and local. i cannot say anymore about it. :D
Attachments
192814147_10158148516313317_74447095680793939_n.jpg
194515777_10158148516658317_9030421404095945994_n.jpg
192885876_10158148517113317_7943026895785954737_n.jpg