Pennsy flexible staybolt cap detail parts

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

ChipsAhoy

Re: Pennsy flexible staybolt cap detail parts

Post by ChipsAhoy »

The OP, is trying to list his wares for sale in a section meant for doing just that. We should avoid hyjacking his honest endeavor.
INHO
Scotty
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

One of the very reasons I have stayed off this forum. Going back into hibernation. 'I'll leave this stuff to those who think they know.
ALLWAYS OPERATING MY TRAIN IN A SAFE MANNER USING AUTOMATIC AIR BRAKES
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

Trainman4602 wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:06 am One of the very reasons I have stayed off this forum. Going back into hibernation. 'I'll leave this stuff to those who think they know.
See ya.

FWIW, I received a similar message from Dave chastising me for my response to his post on a recent product interest thread.

I had a good chuckle from said message and moved on. Good to see I'm not the only one who feels the same way, given the responses in this very thread.

Sorry for the thread drift, Andy.
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

You See that is where this forum goes wrong a few of you people take things the wrong way back when there were just a few suppliers we had to make everything just some casting were available. Just tired of all you guys that don't use your imagination just buy it. No one builds much anymore that what this hobby is really about.

I just counted the flexible stay bolts on the 1361's throat sheet. there are 125 of them and a few more on either side. At $3.00 ea. that would be $400.00 to do detail you really can't see well I have to look under the running boards to see it
I never criticized Andy for making them I just mentioned that there are a few ways to do things. I'm not against CNC machining just do this it has a place in the hobby unless you are in production not a hobbyist. Learn how to run the machines do not push a few buttons to make a part. Thats all.

Sorry for all of this just wanted to show an alternative way of doing things. As far as high jacking a thread well in my nearly 20 years as a member here I have be highjacked and criticized many many times. Just get use to it on here it happens.
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

BTW Mike that message that you are referring to was a private message not out here in the forum. I do have some decency.
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

Trainman4602 wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:53 am BTW Mike that message that you are referring to was a private message not out here in the forum. I do have some decency.
Oh, I know.

I find the irony that you want to be decent to others via PM (even though if it's one of those "No offense, but..." or straight up tearing someone else down style responses), but you want the decency to keep it private so no one knows what you're saying behind closed doors.

If you want to start your own thread on the general LS forum, I wouldn't blink an eye - cool, good for you, you did something. But what you're doing is trying to prove that there are other ways, and prove that you were able to do it yourself (showing off), and in a backhanded manner, tell folks they're not being ingenious enough, smart enough, or fail to have the commitment or time/dedication to do it themselves; and in turn potentially harming the introduction of a product to an otherwise very limited market.

I'll take the time-out if I have to, I don't care. I have nothing to prove about what I've done for the hobby. But I am friends with folks in the hobby and on this forum, and I'll say something if I see fit.

Again, sorry for the thread drift (on my behalf, not anyone else's), Andy.
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

Thanks Mike.

Sorry Harold….this has to be said.

Dave, I have 39 years of mostly manual machining experience. I had never run a cnc lathe until 2008. Don’t accuse me of not knowing the trade. I don’t know everything, but I try to learn something new every day. I found the lathe for a very good price and it’s serving me well. There are things that won’t go into it….it’s a great complement to my 4 manual lathes.

How many hours did it take you to modify all those bolts? I can knock these out in a couple of minutes total apiece. Face, turn, thread and profile the back side while parting off.

You don’t want to buy them, fine. Don’t. Sure, it’s not a really visible part. I’m making them for my E6 and a few friends that need them. And, whoever might want some. It’s not something that’s available. I’m also working on some other caps for other manufacturers.

I have never stepped on your toes. I defended you when you came onto this board back in 2003. Do you remember? People were telling you to go away….

Andy Pullen
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

Andy Your totally OFF base with this post I never criticized you about anything. Great you made flexible stay bolts I made them a different way I'm simply tired of this stuff. I have always felt that you are too sensitive about things trying to prove a poin when i t comes to anything about me. No one ever questioned you about your ability you're just turning around something simply and making an issue of it. No issue here. Stop being so sensitive when it comes to anything I have to say. Just wanted to make a point that there are alternatives when it comes to making something. This gives someone an option. I'm done
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Dave.

Are you offering your caps for sale?
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
theg8nw

Post by theg8nw »

Wow temper temper. Please settle your "who has the biggest ...." in private. It is not good for people new to the hobby. This is one of the reasons why I stopped following this site years back when I first got into the hobby.
Plan your work, work your plan.
www.measurementandmachine.com
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

I'm not selling anything I'm keeping anything I develop for me. No one said anything bad about what Andy made as usual people take things the wrong way on here.
And You theg8nw no temper here I don't need to prove anything to anyone. Just remember that. Let's see what the other guys have produced mostly hot air Just sick of this never said anything bad about the parts. Andy made only said there is another way that I used. Is there something wrong with that.
How about we all end this now and move on. I have several posts ago. Like I said I'm done with this.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Knock it off!
If any comments pertaining to the urinating match come after this, there's going to be a price paid for bad judgment. :twisted: Restrict any further dialogue to the caps and their intended purpose.

An honest businessman is offering a product for those who may have an interest. Leave it at that. You don't like the way they're made? It's none of your business. It's also not about other ways to make them. You have a better mousetrap? Start your own thread. That's what the board is for.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.