Supplier for 1.5 scale steam locomotive number plates?

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

Yak18pilot

Supplier for 1.5 scale steam locomotive number plates?

Post by Yak18pilot »

Good morning,
Does anyone know a good supplier of custom brass locomotive smokebox number plates for 1.5" scale?
I've tried contacting Fisher Detail Foundry but they don't seem to be in business anymore.
Thanks in advance!
Tank245

Re: Supplier for 1.5 scale steam locomotive number plates?

Post by Tank245 »

Contact Black Hills Designs. They did the builders plates for my mogul and they turned out wonderful.
https://www.blackhillsdesigns.biz/
kirkwelding@sbcglobal.net
156844966_360390358348877_4020269524871868885_n.jpg
hoppercar

Post by hoppercar »

Black hills designs, is the best game in town now !!!
amadlinger

Post by amadlinger »

Hi Yak18pilot,

Just as a point of reference, I've had great success with designing a plate in 3D CAD based on prototype plates and then having them 3D printed and cast in bronze via Shapeways, who handles the entire process - all you have to do is upload the CAD file and they send you the casting. I use AutoCAD but Fusion360 or other free software is readily available. Attached is a builder's plate I made for my 2-8-0, and customized the date and serial number to match the exact locomotive I am building.

Sincerely,
Adam
Buildersplate.JPG
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

Adam,
For someone with absolutely no CAD experience, but a willingness to learn, I’d sure like to hear details on the process. And maybe a sidebar on how to start learning CAD?

Brian
SPSteam2491

Post by SPSteam2491 »

Brian,
I'm in the process of writing an article for good tips and tricks to have more success when using CAD programs, specifically ones that can make 3D models. But some of the best resources out there now for learning CAD is Youtube. You can search any CAD system and watch someone point and click on a screen and show what happens. Within an day, you can learn how to draw simple shapes which will cover 75% of parts you need to model (rectangles & circles). The remaining 25% of parts requires some additional learning for more complex shapes but once you learn the basics, those become much easier to understand and complete.

Regardless of the system you choose, the best way to learn is to practice on it, make mistakes, and learn.
Thanks
John LaFavor
Pacific Design Shops
rmac

Post by rmac »

SPSteam2491 wrote: Regardless of the system you choose, the best way to learn is to practice on it, make mistakes, and learn.
Yup. I also agree that YouTube can be very helpful.

Then once you've got your feet wet, I suggest that you take some moderately complicated parts that you have already designed and/or built and model them in whatever CAD program you choose. By doing that, you can forget about the design (since it's already done) and concentrate on learning the software.

The other good thing about working from your own real examples is that it will likely force you to figure out parts of the CAD program that you wouldn't explore otherwise if you were just messing with simple exercises from somebody else's brain.

-- Russell Mac
joe.joseph

Post by joe.joseph »

While taking some CAD classes at a local Community College the instructor directed us to Linked in Learning. It's free through a public library. Just need a library card account to log in and use. Many, many topics there.
Joe

Member: Northeast Ohio Live Steamers
Ridge Live Steamers
amadlinger

Post by amadlinger »

@makinsmoke: Brian, I created a new thread in the Live Steam forum with an explanation of my process, for posterity if nothing else. I wholeheartedly agree with John that there is a tremendous amount of helpful CAD tutorial videos on YouTube that are worthwhile to watch, and encourage you to just dive in and start doing it as Russell is spot on with his advice to work on what *you* want to work on. I find that it is all much easier *done* than *said*, once you figure it out it comes as second nature.

Hopefully this helps!

Sincerely,
Adam