Diesel horn casting?

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

PRR5406

Diesel horn casting?

Post by PRR5406 »

Just looking for a 1/8th scale casting that represents either a single Diesel horn or a combination of horns facing front and back. Nothing fancy or operating, just looking good enough for an ALCO Diesel cab unit. Do you have one laying in a draw or can you point me in the correct direction?
Thank you!

Dick
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
rrnut-2

Re: Diesel horn casting?

Post by rrnut-2 »

RRSC has them.

Jim B
theg8nw

Post by theg8nw »

http://www.precisionsteelcar.com/details_loco.html

They have the base and all 5 of the horn bells so you can configure the horn however you want.
Plan your work, work your plan.
www.measurementandmachine.com
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

theg8nw wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:35 amhttp://www.precisionsteelcar.com/details_loco.html

They have the base and all 5 of the horn bells so you can configure the horn however you want.

I don't think that was what the OP was looking for. The horns he is likely interested in would look like the below.

horns02.jpg
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

No electronics, just the appearance ala' what BDD showed in his photo.
Thanks for all the leads, guys!
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
theg8nw

Post by theg8nw »

Sorry was just trying to help, In all fairness he Did say " a combination of horns facing front and back" Which would also be correct, In later years railroads(some) did change horns for example on L&N locomotives,
PA: #601 thru #614: Were delivered with a Wabco E-2 mounted on the cab roof centerline, one horn per unit. In the early 1950’s all units received Nathan M3-Rl’s. #606 and #608: Had Nathan M3-R2, 4’s. FA1 #536 and #538: had a Nathan M-3 R1 on them. FA2 were no different they got changed.

Boston and Maine RS3's 1535-1545 and 1505-1509 were delivered with 3-trumpet Nathan M-3RT1 (#1 trumpet rear-facing and tilted up) air horns mounted to the front of the cab on a bracket. 1510-1519 were delivered with a 3-chime horn mounted on a sheet metal bracket atop the long hood ahead of the cab.

CN’s FA fleet was originally fitted with the Holden Airchime M3 (built under licence from Nathan), with all bells forward.

So I guess it would be up to the builder as to what he wants.

Here is a link to Nathan's catalog for reference.

https://beriomolina.com/wp-content/uplo ... atalog.pdf
Plan your work, work your plan.
www.measurementandmachine.com
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

Nathans? I thought that was a hot dog?