Prime clear vision assemblies by Jack Bodenmann

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

E6s 68

Prime clear vision assemblies by Jack Bodenmann

Post by E6s 68 »

I am looking to purchase cab door Prime Clear Vision window assemblies in 1.5"/1.6" as offered in the past by Jack Bodenmann. An opportunity or a lead to purchase would be greatly appreciated.
WK in PA
Yak18pilot

Re: Prime clear vision assemblies by Jack Bodenmann

Post by Yak18pilot »

I'm also interested in a set...
Chris Hollands

Post by Chris Hollands »

Are you willing to pay the price - true prime window assemblies are a lot of work and time , I made mine for the Challenger cab not quite to Jacks level but close
Last edited by Chris Hollands on Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jmpharrington

Post by jmpharrington »

I searched for “ Prime Clear Vision window” on the forum and only this post came up. What exactly are these?
Thanks
Jimmy
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

Type in Prime windows
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

Thanks for the search term, it turned up some good photos to use in conjunction with a drawing I have. I suspected my drawing, which came to me from Poland with a group of USATC Consolidation drawings, was a Polish tracing of the Prime window with metric dimensions. I had been wondering if it was a tracing of the original Prime window used on the engineer side of the locomotives or something more European. (They operated about 500 of the Consolidations, some as late as about 1990) It appears to be the real thing.

I'm assuming the windows came in sizes. The drawing I have is for a window 540mm x 306 mm (probably converted from 21.25" X 12").

One might be able to 3D print and investment cast them, although the cross section is pretty thin and would probably require modifications to get it to cast. One might also might be able to print them in a resin that withstands higher temperatures and use the plastic part. A quick check revealed a resin that will withstand 320 f.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
I have molds for 1-1/2" scale prime cab windows and can make some if there is enough interest. They are the rectangular variety with a pivoting center section that tips out with three 1/16" glass panes. I don't have the variety with the angled inner edge. I'll post a photo this evening with a price. I will do a run if there is enough interest.
Jack