BvB SL Twin Cylinder Feed Water Pumps - 3/4"

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

Bill Shields

BvB SL Twin Cylinder Feed Water Pumps - 3/4"

Post by Bill Shields »

I am going to be careful about calling these 'duplex' pumps -> even though that is what Bill van Brocklin calls them on his drawings.

I needed one for a current project, decided to build one for a good friend - and have enough parts in the basket to finish 3 more -> if anyone is interested.

They are typical BvB SL pumps of this genre with the exception that I decided to make (shown for the first 2) the inlet / outlet 1/4-40 model taper pipe (shown with adapters to compression fittings), went with 5 screws on the spools (instead of BvB design of 3) and have added a copper gasket to the water check valves....and soldered a boss on the inlet / outlet of the water head to make it a bit more robust.
Pump 1.jpg
pump 3.jpg
pump 2.jpg
If anyone is interested, let me know. bshields at mehrs dot com

I can make the inlet / outlet threads anything you like and can put the water inlet / outlet in any configuration you desire, since I am only going to make more water and steam chests if there is interest.

I can also put in alternate holes for mounting, if you don't like the standard mount shown.

Shown in the first two pictures is water inlet on the right (bottom) out on the left (top) of the water chest. If you have never seen one of these, they stand 3" high and are 2" wide and work for 3/4" or 1" locos.

$500 for the pump, documentation, extra gaskets and whatnot...

If you want a displacement lubricator, they are also available for $75 -> which includes an extra glass and O-rings. The lubricators tend to be a bit oversize for 3/4" since they need be big enough maintain with full-size hands and hold enough oil to be useful through a day of running.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
steamingdon

Re: BvB SL Twin Cylinder Feed Water Pumps - 3/4"

Post by steamingdon »

nice looking job, Bill. I'm sure these pumps will sell quickly.
steamer
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

matters not...but if i can help someone -> that is goal.

while making parts for one, is just as easy to make parts for 5 -> except for the big ends...

appreciate the comment from the pump meister :D
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Bill Shields wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:47 pm I am going to be careful about calling these 'duplex' pumps -> even though that is what Bill van Brocklin calls them on his drawings.
I feel calling them duplex isn't misleading. After all, there's two pumps in one. Duplex is likely taken from the Greek language, meaning two (pronounced theeo, with the 'th' pronounced as one would with the word 'that').

That said, the only remaining question would be if they are compound, or not. Like a compressor with a jammer, one cylinder would be low pressure, while the other would be high pressure.

That's the way I see it, and I'm sitickin' with my commitment. :wink:

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

no disagreement...but last time this discussion got started it was a real merry-go-round.

so i am avoid controversy....surprise!!!!
Sandiapaul

Post by Sandiapaul »

Someone on facebook just posted that they wanted one of these...but now I can't find it. I think it was the 3/4" loco group...
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Happy to help...but I do not use facebook. Will wait and see...thx
Bill Shields

Re: BvB SL Twin Cylinder Feed Water Pump - 3/4"

Post by Bill Shields »

I have one more of these pumps for sale... finished and ready to go.

Pump has 1/4-40 model taper pipe threads complete with adapters to compression fittings.

Entire proceeds from the sale are going to be donated to Penna Live Steamers to assist with rebuilding after the flood last September.

Look at this as an opportunity to get something you want (need?) and do something good for a live steam club at the same time.