Model Steam Pressure Gauges

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

apm

Re: Model Steam Pressure Gauges

Post by apm »

SZuiderveen wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 6:36 pm The US Gauge about eight posts up is a dual needle gauge with one of the handss removed.
apm, if I send you the particulars, could you do a one-off face for us, I’ll send camera ready for the quadrant and numbers.
450F06AF-D145-4659-90F5-D41166176E01.jpeg
Steve
Hi Steve,

I could probably do a custom gauge for you, send me a private message I would like to batch them together with a few new ideas before I send them out to etching so it may take a few months till it is ready if you don't mind the wait. Do you want that Baldwin gauge below in 300psig?

Harlock, I am thinking the final size would be somewhere between 2.25-3" diameter on such a gauge. It couldn't get much smaller than a 2.25" case or you couldn't fit the bourdon tube in the back side. You are free to go up on the diameter as much as you want so I guess the question would be what is the right sweet spot so that as many people from 2.5" scale on up could enjoy it even if it is slightly on the large size for a 2.5" scale locomotive. I am thinking 2.5" diameter would probably be just about right? Would you agree?

The other question is if I am going to make more of these are there any other sizes/special requests people would have as I usually like to put a lot of different faces on the sheets of brass when i go out for etching? Is there demand for 200psig/300psig without the word locomotive on it? I wonder if the steam tractor or boat guys would have any use for these?

Does anyone need 1.5"diameter 100psig gauges?
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

apm wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 7:34 pm Harlock, I am thinking the final size would be somewhere between 2.25-3" diameter on such a gauge. It couldn't get much smaller than a 2.25" case or you couldn't fit the bourdon tube in the back side. You are free to go up on the diameter as much as you want so I guess the question would be what is the right sweet spot so that as many people from 2.5" scale on up could enjoy it even if it is slightly on the large size for a 2.5" scale locomotive. I am thinking 2.5" diameter would probably be just about right? Would you agree?
2.5" diameter for a brake gauge is just right for 3" scale (my engine) or 3 3/4" scale, but too small for 5" scale, which is the overwhelming majority of 15" gauge engines. A 3" dual air gauge would be perfect for them, but too big for me. A 2.5" gauge would look right next to my rare 3" Crosby steam gauge.

If you make a 3" gauge, there are at least two buyers right now, maybe more.

I'll by the 2.5" gauge if you make it, although I would like a rough idea of the price if possible.

Best,

-Mike
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
apm

Post by apm »

Hi All,

I just updated the website today but I now have stock of 3" 200psig and 3" 300psig pressure gauges for sale for the larger scale engines. No photos yet of the 200psig versions (hope to have some tomorrow). They are more or less the same artwork from the smaller 200psig gauges on a 3" face.

In general it works best if you all place the order directly on the website as it keeps the accounting clean and easy.

www.modelgauge.com

Thanks,

Adam
apm

Post by apm »

Finally got some photos of the new 200psig gauge, but even these don't do them justice;
LargeScale200psig1.JPG
Here's the 300psig versions,
Large+Scale+300psig1.jpg
For the larger scale locomotive these are really a beautiful must have complimenting piece of man jewelry.
apm

Post by apm »

For those who are interested and missed them the last time around I have some of the smaller 2" diameter pressure gauges back available on the website in both 200 and 160psig ranges.
Steam Engine Dan

Post by Steam Engine Dan »

question regarding your pressure gauges. from a practical standpoint. are they the same size diameter as a loco parts pressure gauge? my father has a loco parts gauge on our Hudson. but it's not showing accurate on the needle. Gauge size is 1-1/2", case is 1-13/16" dia x 1-1/16 thick? I have to find out from him what our connection fitting size is.
rwmorris

Post by rwmorris »

Absolutely amazing. Mine arrived today. Thx!

~RM
apm

Post by apm »

Steam Engine Dan wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:22 am question regarding your pressure gauges. from a practical standpoint. are they the same size diameter as a loco parts pressure gauge? my father has a loco parts gauge on our Hudson. but it's not showing accurate on the needle. Gauge size is 1-1/2", case is 1-13/16" dia x 1-1/16 thick? I have to find out from him what our connection fitting size is.
Hi Dan,

They are probably pretty close to what locoparts offers as they are based on a 1.5"dia commercially available gauge, then the dial measures about 1-15/16" or so. I have never actually seen the locoparts version but if you need a replacement I don't think you will be disappointed. They should look great on a Hudson.

On a side note I am getting close to needing to get another run of etching done, any one have any special requests. I may try to do that nice Baldwin gauge below. Would others want a Baldwin version and if so is 200psig ok?
Jerry_H

Post by Jerry_H »

Adam,
My gauge arrived several weeks ago and it is absolutely beautiful! Been sicker than a dog so haven't had the energy to do much.

Thank you.

Jerry
www.chaski.com
pkeiser

Post by pkeiser »

Adam, I have 2 of your 200lb. gauges. 2" dia.
I still need 300lb gauges.
I'll buy 2 . please please please !!!!!!!!
www.chaski.com
dwilloughby

Post by dwilloughby »

Adam, add me to the list also for a 300# gauge, 2" DIA.
apm

Post by apm »

Hi All,

I just saw the replies here, sorry for missing them. The next round of gauges is in the works but they will be ready when they are ready as they are getting made on a somewhat limited time permitting basis.

I was starting to phase out the 300psig gauges but we could see what we can do about running a few more on an as requested basis. I see you guys want 3 of them anyone else want one at 300psi? It seemed like virtually everyone wants to be at 200psig and the 300's sat around for long periods of time.

Thanks,

Adam