2/12" Scale Brake Valves

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

NP317

Re: 2/12" Scale Brake Valves

Post by NP317 »

If Jack's 1-1/2" scale valves are not available, then check John Kelso's web pages:
http://www.chehalemmachineworks.com/Pro ... duct=Valve
He makes a remarkable functioning 6ET valve.
I've held one in my hands and was impressed by its quality.
~RN
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
I may be making both 1-1/2" and 2-1/2" valves this fall. Let me know if you are interested, if there is enough demand I will make both.
Jack
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
I am just finishing up a run of 2-1/2" Westinghouse brake valves. Both S6 and H6. The S6 (engine brakes) is available as Straight air and the H6 (train brakes) is available as both straight and automatic air. The H6 is now $800.00, and the S6 is $650.00. If you purchase both you get a $100.00 price break for a total of $1350.00 plus $15.00 shipping. PM if you are interested. The last time I made them they sold out in 5 days. I won't be making them again for some time.
Jack
Attachments
S6 2.jpg
H6 2.jpg
John.can

Post by John.can »

I know this was asked a few years ago, but would you ever consider making the S-6 steam capable? Also will the H-6 be capable of automatic vacuum?
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
The S6 valve is just too small for porting large enough for steam. I plan on making a steam brake valve in the future. It will be a model of an actual steam brake valve with a wooden operating handle so you don't burn your fingers. It will just be an on-off valve, as lap position does no good with steam. When you close off the ports the steam condenses and the pressure goes away. The H6 valve is available as a straight air or automatic air valve. It is also available at extra cost ($50.00) as a straight vacuum or automatic vacuum valve. The bottom valve body needs an additional machining operation and it also requites a different valve disc. The valve still operates the same with detent located positions for release, lap, service, and emergency application. These are not regulating valves. They operate like the prototype. You move the operating handle from release through lap to service application. The pressure in the brake line will slowly rise, (or lower with automatic brakes) until you get the application you want, and then you move the handle back to lap. This will hold the application you made, how long depends on the leakage in your brake system. If you plan on leaving your train or loco parked for a while it's best to move the lever back to service application so the air doesn't bleed off. I recommend using a regulator upstream of the valve. Set the regulator so the maximum pressure won't lock up the brakes.
Happy Model Building
Jack
copter912003

Post by copter912003 »

Sir.
Sir.:
Are you still have S6 and H6 brake valves in stock? I would like to purchase a set (S6 and H6 , straight and automatic) in 1.5” scale (or 2.5” scale.); please Let me know how you want payment.

Best regards

Vincent LEE
copter912003@yahoo.com
Wichita Narrow Gauge

Post by Wichita Narrow Gauge »

Hello Jack
I am currently building a 20 ton Shay Locomotive in 2 1/5 inch scale using John Buckwalters drawings and casting

The locomotive i am modeling is the Shop Number 1643 Class B37-2 J.Neils Lumber Company #4, that locomotive
is a class B but the Construction is real close to a Class A

At some point i will need a Brake Valve, I was going to build the brake valve myself but if you can match me up with one of yours
Ill buy one from you

I'm Hoping you can help me identify the brake valves in the two attached photos
DSCN5002.JPG
Shay steam engine 2012 058.jpg
The Valve closet to the window I believe is a Westinghouse Steam Valve, I don't know the model Number
The Brake Valve in the foreground is probably the Air Brake Valve for the rolling stock, don't know the manufacturer or model

I'm not necessarily locked into A steam powered brake system, air brakes would work just fine, might even be better from a maintenance stand point

What can you do to help me out

Philip G
Soot n' Cinders

Post by Soot n' Cinders »

Wichita Narrow Gauge wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:31 pm Hello Jack
I am currently building a 20 ton Shay Locomotive in 2 1/5 inch scale using John Buckwalters drawings and casting

The locomotive i am modeling is the Shop Number 1643 Class B37-2 J.Neils Lumber Company #4, that locomotive
is a class B but the Construction is real close to a Class A

At some point i will need a Brake Valve, I was going to build the brake valve myself but if you can match me up with one of yours
Ill buy one from you

I'm Hoping you can help me identify the brake valves in the two attached photos

DSCN5002.JPGShay steam engine 2012 058.jpg

The Valve closet to the window I believe is a Westinghouse Steam Valve, I don't know the model Number
The Brake Valve in the foreground is probably the Air Brake Valve for the rolling stock, don't know the manufacturer or model

I'm not necessarily locked into A steam powered brake system, air brakes would work just fine, might even be better from a maintenance stand point

What can you do to help me out

Philip G
Phillip,
So the brake valves on the shays are pretty unique. The big one near the camera is a standard Westinghouse air brake valve for the train brakes. The one near the window is a Lima built steam brake valve. The brake cylinders on shays are unique as well being that they take steam to apply and release the brake, so the valve is built to accommodate this. I built a working model of the Lima valve, its over in my shay build log somewhere. Feel free to PM with any questions too.

Tristan
-Tristan

Projects
-2.5" scale Class A 20 Ton Shay

Steam Siphon: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/leavitt ... tive-works
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Only two sets of 2-1/2" scale brake valves left. I don't plan on making any more. Get them while you can.
Jack
Wichita Narrow Gauge

Post by Wichita Narrow Gauge »

Hello J Bodenmann
I am still looking for a 2.5 inch Brake Valve for my Shay Locomotive
Do you have the short valve in Stock ?
How much and will you take Pay-Pal or c-card
I would like to purchase one of your valves

Thank you for your time
Philip G
JBodenmann