Mosley Generator

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

clinch670

Mosley Generator

Post by clinch670 »

New, never plumbed 1.5 scale Mosley Generator.
1500.00/shipping
clinch670

Re: Mosley Generator

Post by clinch670 »

Reduced to 1400.00
Gary Armitstead

Post by Gary Armitstead »

Just a suggestion to you on your asking price of your Moseley generator........IF this generator IS new and it includes the steam regulator. then your price is way too low. All of the Moseley generators I have seen in the past few years have fetched prices NORTH of $2000....a couple for $2400-$2500. If you don't get bites here, there is always Discover Live Steam. If I didn't already have a brand new Moseley generator, I would definitely go for your $1400! Don't sell this generator short!
Gary Armitstead
Burbank, CA
Member LALS since 1980
Member Goleta Valley Railroad Club 1980-1993
ALCOSTEAM

Post by ALCOSTEAM »

Gary Armitstead wrote:Just a suggestion to you on your asking price of your Moseley generator........IF this generator IS new and it includes the steam regulator. then your price is way too low. All of the Moseley generators I have seen in the past few years have fetched prices NORTH of $2000....a couple for $2400-$2500. If you don't get bites here, there is always Discover Live Steam. If I didn't already have a brand new Moseley generator, I would definitely go for your $1400! Don't sell this generator short!
As much as I hate to hijack a guys thread, since you put in your 2cents here is mine.

DLS is not a factual price guide. Things can sell for less than asking price and that is not put out for all to know.

Yes its neat to see and hear a little turbo-generator running but these just don't put out enough power to do much more than light a couple small bulbs. Its far easier to stash some decent sized batteries and have plenty of power to run your lights and 12v air compressor for brakes, even when you don't have steam pressure built up. Fabricating a dummy turbo generator is well within most model machinists ability and then spend that $$ on some injectors or other items that are necessary and can be difficult for the model machinist to build.

That being said what is being asked for this generator is not out of line, if you feel you need to just have a working turbo generator just so long as people know its a fancy piece of bling more than a functional item. But then if usefulness set the prices diamond rings and corvettes would always be in the clearance isle.
Gary Armitstead

Post by Gary Armitstead »

ALCOSTEAM wrote:
Gary Armitstead wrote:Just a suggestion to you on your asking price of your Moseley generator........IF this generator IS new and it includes the steam regulator. then your price is way too low. All of the Moseley generators I have seen in the past few years have fetched prices NORTH of $2000....a couple for $2400-$2500. If you don't get bites here, there is always Discover Live Steam. If I didn't already have a brand new Moseley generator, I would definitely go for your $1400! Don't sell this generator short!

Yes its neat to see and hear a little turbo-generator running but these just don't put out enough power to do much more than light a couple small bulbs. Its far easier to stash some decent sized batteries and have plenty of power to run your lights and 12v air compressor for brakes, even when you don't have steam pressure built up. Fabricating a dummy turbo generator is well within most model machinists ability and then spend that $$ on some injectors or other items that are necessary and can be difficult for the model machinist to build.

That being said what is being asked for this generator is not out of line, if you feel you need to just have a working turbo generator just so long as people know its a fancy piece of bling more than a functional item. But then if usefulness set the prices diamond rings and corvettes would always be in the clearance isle.
Ohhhhh, Wow........Sounds like I stepped on someone's wallet :). Your animosity towards those that like "bling" (as you called it) AND can afford it is quite obvious. The prices I "quoted" are real and I know the individuals that sold them (or purchased them) for those prices. Discover Live was an example, not the ONLY place these generators are available. BTW, your example of a scale model working generator powering a 12v air compressor is simply ludicrous :). There are a number of these beauties running at clubs on the West Coast and running cab lights, water glass lights and classification lamps. This is all they were designed for and they do a superb job.

I STILL say he is underpriced. But if he wants to give it away, so be it. I was trying to be helpful. You on the other hand, well......your words say a lot. Were they "helpful"?
Gary Armitstead
Burbank, CA
Member LALS since 1980
Member Goleta Valley Railroad Club 1980-1993
ALCOSTEAM

Post by ALCOSTEAM »

I never even insinuated they would run an air compressor.
Steamguy57

Post by Steamguy57 »

Item still available?
tom stamey

Post by tom stamey »

I saw a brand new Mosley and regulator sell for $500 just one year ago. I could have bought it but I like the battery better and it can power a water pump as well as all lighting.

Different strokes for different folks.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

There is no right or wrong in this issue, and I'm not talking about the price of the generator. What I am talking about is one's objective.

Some folks like things that are authentic, right down to the last detail. I happen to be one of them, and even surface finish, to me, is important. It all plays towards a realistic looking scale model, assuming that's one's objective.

For some, it doesn't matter. They are perfectly content to have something that vaguely resembles the real thing, and are not interested in spending the time or money required to pursue things beyond that model. They'd rather be out on the track enjoying their creation, or their pockets simply won't allow the finer details. Nothing wrong with that.

Others prefer the concept of perfect reproductions in miniature. "Rivet counters" some like to call them. Nothing wrong with that, either. It is not for me, or anyone else, to determine what brings the other guy pleasure. It is up to each of us to accept the other's wishes, especially when one hopes to have acceptance by their peers. To each, his own.

Nothing wrong with that.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Thanks, Harold!
Fair comment as always - one important reason, why we all can enjoy our hobby and like the chaski forum!
By the way, an old friend who passed away some years ago, once constructed and built some working scale turbo generators, too. The biggest one of scale 1 in 4 not just delivered 30 ( :!: ) W @ 12 V but had a working speed 8) regulator built in like the prototype! Nothing wrong with it, too.
Yet no drawings left :( , as far as I know, soory.

Best regards
Asteamhead
JTolan

Post by JTolan »

If someone has a working Moseley for sale for 500 please let me know ;)