I’m in need of some 10” driver castings

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

Andypullen

I’m in need of some 10” driver castings

Post by Andypullen »

Good evening everyone,
I’m in need of 8 10” Box-Pok driver castings for a project. I need 4 light, 2 medium and 2 heavy counterweights. I haven’t checked with Jesse at Little Engines yet. I’ll call him on Monday.
They don’t need to be Little Engines castings. I know that there are some other older ones out there. Probably collecting dust.
If anyone can help, that would be great!
Thank you in advance!
Andy Pullen
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
Berkman

Re: I’m in need of some 10” driver castings

Post by Berkman »

I think Bob Dean makes/made some, as well as Roger Goldmann, maybe even Real Trains had some Lima style 10 inch. Don't quote me on it... but good luck!
ALCOSTEAM

Post by ALCOSTEAM »

If by some miracle you actually get ahold of Little Engines do let us know.
flavinny

Post by flavinny »

I have a set of oooold LE Northern drivers, frames, axel boxes (old style), spreaders and cradle. Anyone interested in the lot?
Adding some pictures..
Attachments
Crate.jpg
Crate.jpg (20.1 KiB) Viewed 4091 times
Frame.jpg
Driver.jpg
AxelBox.jpg
Frames.jpg
Last edited by flavinny on Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

ALCOSTEAM wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:34 pm If by some miracle you actually get ahold of Little Engines do let us know.
Jesse emailed me back. He doesn’t have any in stock. He said that his foundry had closed and was trying another couple of them. When he has some numbers, he said he would let me know.

Apparently he has had a lot of requests for these. Hopefully, he’ll find a foundry that can do quality work.

Bear in mind that lead times are crazy long right now. I made a pattern for 36” car wheels in May of 21. It took about 6 months to get castings. Twice the number that I ordered. If anyone needs 36” (4.5”) wheels, let me know.

Andy
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

Bob Dean's website doesn't appear to be up to date, but I'm 85% sure he offers 10 inch boxpok drivers, what he used on his CofG 4-8-4.
https://bobdeansupply.com/livesteam.html
Might be worth shooting him a call or email.

Also Real Trains offers these:
http://www.realtrains.com/files/86017089.pdf
Not sure if those are quite the same as box pok, but they are listed as "baldwain disc drivers"

Also - there are these:
https://modelsteamengines.tripod.com/no ... tings.html
But don't think I've heard that anyone has gotten parts from him lately so probably would not go that route unless something has changed. I heard somewhere that Richard Ronne now basically has Roger's Patterns, so who knows. Would be great if his catalog of parts becomes "available" again.
Mark Landgraf

Post by Mark Landgraf »

If it will help, I have a drawing for an SP GS-4 BoxPok driver center. It's for 73 inch center. After placing a tire on it, you'll have about 9.875 inch finished driver. The drawing is way to large to post here.

If you want to make a pattern, please email me at Mark_Landgraf at yahoo dot com
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Various live steamers in California and Nevada have used Sunset Foundry in Valley Springs, CA. I haven't used them in decades but what I got from them was well done and the price and wait time were reasonable. Google will take you to them.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

Thank you all for your answers and advice.

I found some drivers that a good friend had squirreled away. The castings had been a bit aggressively snagged at the foundry and the flanges won't finish to IBLS standards, but they will get tires and work out fine.

Thanks again!

Andy
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Ever see the box pox drivers that Fred boffard hogged out of solid using what he called 3 hand milling -XY and rotary table.

All this my hand . No controls
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
dnevil

Post by dnevil »

Anthony Duarte reported in 2019 that he made boxpok drivers for a 1” project using a CNC machine.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=108369
Daris Nevil
IBLS Secretary
North American Region
http://www.ibls.org