G 9729 Half Nut removal?

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

16WhiteColly

G 9729 Half Nut removal?

Post by 16WhiteColly »

If anyone has replaced the half nut on a G 9729, can you tell me the steps for removal? My machine is a 2004 model and the lead screw has the keyway burrs from the manufacturing process. I would like to do a visual inspection of the half nut. I have a replacement that I bought when the machine was new just to have a spare. Thanks.
40 year retired machinist.
Bill Shields

Re: G 9729 Half Nut removal?

Post by Bill Shields »

Start by removing the carriage from the lathe.

Basically you remove the tailstock and the support and crank on the right hand end of the lathe and pull the carriage off.

Lighten the carriage as much as you can by taking off the cross slide, bread dial and any locking clamps

Get some extra hands..the carriage is heavier than it looks.

Alternately...if you remove the leadscrew you can unbolt the front apron from the carriage.

Once you have it on the workbench....then you can remove the half but.

In reality..need to replace the half but can be determined by the amount of side to side play you have in the carriage once the half but is closed.

I would pull the leadscrew first -> then get in there with a mirror and magnifier before I pulled the assembly apart.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
16WhiteColly

Re: G 9729 Half Nut removal?

Post by 16WhiteColly »

Good idea on checking with a mirror. Thanks.
40 year retired machinist.